Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Paper Puncher >

Paper Puncher

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Paper Puncher

Old 12-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Paper Puncher

I'm an '06 shooter through and through, and don't so much care to hunt with anything else, but I played with a couple paper punchers this weekend, customed heavy barreled bdl in .22-250 and a modified heavy barreled .240 weatherby, and it got me to thinking I might want my own paper rifle. I'm thinking in a .22-250, since I don't want to pay for a maker specific round, or a wildcat round. If anyone has any better idea for a round, I'm all ears, but I like the .22-250. More importantly though, I want to know what's going to be either the cheapest platform to buy then customize, or what's going to be the most accurate heavy barreled rifle around??

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Paper Puncher

For a paper puncher, I would suggest the .223 Remington round over the 22-250. Nothing wrong with the 22-250 at all, but a .223 is slightly easier to shoot accurately. The .223 is also cheaper to shoot, whether it be factory ammo or reloading. Also, milsurp ammo can be had very cheap, and for $20 worth of milsurp ammo you can shoot just about all day. All else being equal, the .223 would be my choice, just for the shear economical aspect of shooting it. Also the .223 is extremely easy on barrel life.

Probably, the best platform to build a cusotm rifle on is the Remington M700. Not neccessarily becasue it is the best, but because it is so popular and has an almost unlimited amount of accessories avaliable. The Rem. M700 has tons of after market or custom, stocks, triggers, safeties, magazine/floorplates, scope bases, barrels, recoil lugs, and magazine followers for it, in many different price ranges.

If I were to buy a heavy barreled rifle, it would have to be a Savage in .223 single shot bolt action, with a 26" heavy stainless barrel, with a pillar bedded laminated stock, model 112BVSS. These rifles are notorious for shooting itty bitty groups. When punching paper, a single shot is all you need. One thing about the Savage is that the trigger is no the best. The first the I would do, is get an after market trigger, like a Sharp Shooter or Rifle Basix trigger. These triggers easily be set 1-3 pounds. Also the Savage has a unique feature in that the bolt head floats just a little. This allows the cartridge to center itself in the chamber, which adds just a tad to accuracy.

Old 12-01-2002, 05:42 PM

Paper punching is fun. Whatever caliber you choose, you should think about reloading your own ammo. Want to shoot that .240 Weatherby? After you buy the first batch of ammo or cases, it'll be as cheap as any other. Why rely on finding accurate factory ammo when you can exceed their performance with your own loads?
Old 12-02-2002, 08:24 AM

i too would reccomend the .223 for no other reason than it is cheaper to shoot

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass