Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommend a pistol for my wife

Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommend a pistol for my wife

Most good CCW classes the instructor(s) should have several handguns there for you and your wifeto look at and handle and shoot if possible.The guy that gives classes out were I live has about 15-20 differant handguns,he passes them around while class is going on so everyone can check them out and if he is in a good mood he wont charge you for the ammo you shootup.Plus alot of people bring thier own for qualification,and will let you look at them also.
2nd amendment at its best.......
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I really do appreciate them.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Kel-Tec PT9 or P11 they are both 9mm. I use to have a PT9 but sold it and bought the P11 because it holds more rounds. Very reliable gun, I use it as my C&C gun. It has never jammed on me, fired lots of rounds at the range just to see if it jamed andit has work flawlessly.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: spencer0071

Ruger SP101in 38/357.
I second this choice. Simple, rugged, accurate. A revolver is probably a better choice unless she is going to be going to the range quite a bit to become proficient with the more complex workings of a semi-auto.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

J-Frame S&W all the way. Or any other small frame revolver. Semi-auto is a bad idea for beginners. Most people for their first firearm go the inexpensive way. I would say that an inexpensive revolver is ten times more reliable than an inexpensive semi-auot. Do not worry about getting yelled at, worry about your wife's protection. Tom.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I have a couple pistols that I sometimes shoot, such as a S&W .357, but was looking to purchase a pistol, preferably an auto, that my wife could learn to shoot comfortably, yet have some snort behind it to drop a man if necessary without emptying a magazine. The primary purpose of the pistol will be for protection.
Due to circumstance my wife has yet to learn to shoot, as I have barely had time to shoot and hunt myself the past 5 years of so. We plan to take some time soon to get her aquanted to shooting, but thinking longer term as well.
Any suggestions for pistols would be fantastic. Also, I would prefer that the pistol not brake the bank as well. Thanks ahead of time.
IF you insist on a semi-auto, I would have her begin with a .22 LR semiauto like a Ruger, and let her shoot alot until she acquires some marksmanship skill. But even more important, if you are going to equip her with a semi-auto, is for her to developINSTINCTIVE safe handling habits. It is a serious mistake to equip a beginner with a semi-auto without making ABSOLUTELY SURE the person learns to handle it safely and effectively! Otherwise, it is more dangerous to her and the rest of the family than to the bad guys!! Believe me. I've seen this happen, even in the Army, by people who had been given the "required training!!"

Once she gets to the point where she can safely and effectively employ the Ruger 22, get her a small version of the Kimber 1911-types in .40 S&W, or better yet, .45 ACP. My wife is 5'3" tall, and will not shoot any handgun except for "my .45", as she calls it!!

Avoid all the pipsqueak "pocket pistols" and their pipsqueak cartridges - the .22 LR hollowpoint is A MORE EFFECTIVE DEFENSE roundthan the .25, .32 ACP or .380!

If you don't want to spring for a .22 semiauto, start her off with your .357 revolver, shooting .38 Special wadcutter target ammo. It has about the same recoil as the .22, is very accurate, and not too loud. Make sure she has real good ear protection -I've seen more beginners scared away from handguns by the NOISE they make than by recoil!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM

The 22lr is more effective than the 25 acp, but not so with the others. Good hp ammo will outpreform a 22 rimfire any day by a large margin in the 32 or the 380. The Kel Tec 380 is often hard to find because so many police officers are buying them for backup, and by the way I think they can still be had for around $250 when you can find them. The Beretta models with the tip up barrel solve the problem of racking the slide,and also simplify unloading. I'm not trying to distract from the benefits of the revolver but only to give credit where credit is due. It's like learning to drive a car, everyone should have to learn in a stick shift, then they would be able to drive anything in an emergency!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf.
I just bought the Kahr CW9.Ive got about 420 round thru it with no problems(put away my Ruger P95DC).Its a very nice CW,fits way better then the Ruger.
I was at the sport shop today and bought a electric ice auger and while there ordered the KAHR CW40.Got it for 420.00 bucks.Will be in nxt week cant wait.its the same as the CW9.
When they say shoot at least 200-300 rounds thru it before you use it as a CW,do it.It makes a big differance.the 1st few rounds I was getting second thoughts, but buy the time I got into the 150-200 it started to group way way better and got better the more I shot it....It needs a good break in.I carried the Ruger so long I had to adjust to the smaller frame and grip.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:01 PM

I know of a guy who supposedly knew guns real well and one day while going to clean his 25 auto was interrupted by the phone. Lets just say he swears the gun was empty when he missed a main artery in his leg by a fraction of an inch. No, they are not very complex but-and don't ask why the idiot dropped the hammer while the gun was pointed at his leg-but a revolver is easier to clear and a double action is pretty hard to accidentally pull through.
One other thing about autos that people don't think about too much is the matching of the power of a load to the recoil spring of the gun. If you fire an auto without enough resistance to recoil provided by the shooting hand you've got a failure to feed guaranteed. My buddy and I once loaded up some 'cheapy' lead reloads for his 9mm. We had no problems at all with feeding until we let his wife take a turn, every other shot didn't cycle the gun fully. If you decide on the auto route I'd definitely practice different holds on the gun while firing. No, I'm not saying women are limp wristed, that's just a gun design thing that doesn't take into account that people are different.
I think basically the .38 special double action revolver is the wayto go, especially when your talking about a self defense gun
Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 PM

I am real surprised on all the different choices that were mentioned, some of which I would shy away from, and some that I would go for.

RedLion asked about a pistol that has stopping power and not break the bank. Personaly in a semi autoI would not go with anything less than a 9mm and the 9mm would be a conditional buy for me. They are nice because of the size of the cartrage and you can carry more. I would look into a 40s&w or a 45acp for the real stopping power.
In a revolver I would go with a 357 mag due to the fact that it can be shot with 38's for learning and practice and not break the bank on a box of ammo.

As far as making a suggestion I would suggest going to a gun shop and looking at several diffrent handguns and see what feels best in her hands. Lets face it the gun that fits her best is going to be the most enjoyable for her shooting.

Shane

Quick Reply: Recommend a pistol for my wife

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.