Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Red or Green? >

Red or Green?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Red or Green?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Red or Green?

I' am about to by a laser sight for my hand gun. Can any one tell me what makes green a better laser? Also what effect does the wavelenth's nm have on the quality of the beam? Is lower better? If so, why do the better Green lasers have a closer wavelenth to the lesser red lasers?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red or Green?

i tried useing the laser sight,(someone elses handgun)and what happend to me was,when I drew on target my finger would be in the way untill I put it on the trigger.also I payed more attention to werethe dot wasthen onthe target(as a whole).
my opinion on laser is,its good for shooting paper but under a highlystressed situation,I would rather use the point and shoot and not get distracted by a dot on the other person.THINK about it.See your whole target and whats going on around it or looking at a dot on the target and not the whole target.
But hay thats just how I feel.....................
Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I already use a laser sight and I love it. For daylight conditions I would recommend open sights and alot of practice. But for indoor, low light, half awake situations I'd choose a Laser handsdown anyday. That with a tactful flashlight. But my question wasn'tshould I use one or not but rather what makes a green laser better. I know that the human eyerecognisesthe yellow/green color best, but is there more to it? In addition how do they get a Green laser in a 635 nm wavelength? As far as I know thats in the red spectrum range. Green is in the 520nm to 565 nm Range
Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a green laser sight for sale on the open market.

I have been told that they are restricted for military/LE only. But, who knows? I have never seen one with my own eyes...so it might just be a movie trick for all I know.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Here is a little info on the green lasers.

http://www.aimshot-sales.com/Green%20Lasers.asp

Apparently, the green laser is 532mn, which ismuch brighter than a normal red laser. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks Longrifle, I also did a little research. It seems that since the green laser has a longer wavelength, it makes it easyer to see during the day and for a longer distance too.Alot longer range then my pistol has. But for the daylight property of it, I just bought one. Warmdaze