Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BAR Help

Old 11-28-2002, 11:15 AM
jed
Fork Horn

Default BAR Help

I recently stumbled across a Browning Auto rifle in 30-06 that will not group. The owner has tried several different brands of ammo. I am not sure if he has tried different bullet weights. I had a look at this piece and it is in very good condition. The barrel is tight to the receiver, the lands and grooves are very visible and the crown seems in pretty good shape. The bluing is worn off of the crown, but that is the only part of the firearm that looks like it has seen any use. Now when I say this thing won't group I mean firing from a gun vise this thing will not consistently hit plywood. Other than damage to the crown which would cause key holing is there anything else anyone can suggest that might be the cause of such inacuracies. I know the auto is not the bench rest shooters action of choice but I believe that the gun should still group within 2 inches at 100 yards. If I was to push a soft lead slug down the bore what should I be looking for? I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this. thanks

Old 11-28-2002, 12:48 PM

Default RE: BAR Help

good luck, I owned one of those pieces of junk for about a year
and had the same problem. I did the same thing, all different ammo's, took to a gunsmith, nothing worked. Trade it off and save yourself alot of pain and suffering, not to mention money...

J. Shoot

Searching
Old 11-30-2002, 09:05 AM

I have a 270 bar & I can put a quarter over my group of 3 at 100 yards
shooting off the bench w/barrel on sand bag. I broke in the barrel like the book said. hope you get it shooting good
Greg
Old 11-30-2002, 09:15 AM

I had a 30 06 & sold it because it was shooting like that. toke the scope of & found 1 screw loose on mounting screw for scope bracket wish I would have checked that first but all the people I talked to said barrel was wore out, new owner says it shooting good groups & very happy with it