Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .17 HMR Questions >

.17 HMR Questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 HMR Questions

Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Default .17 HMR Questions

I just got a .17 HMR for christmas and would like to know a few things about it. I already own a .22 mag that shoots great. What is the difference in the knockdown power of the .22 mag and the .17 HMR? How much different dose the wind effect the .17 bullet because it is so light? What would you recomend to hunt with it? I used my .22 mag for squirrels and rabbits once and it was too much, Is the .17 going to be too much also? I would like to try to use it for turkeys in the fall but im not sure if it is accurate enough yet. Ive only shot a few rounds through it and it seemed to shoot well but we will have to see.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Default RE: .17 HMR Questions

I know a lot of guys on here use the .17 hmr as THE varmint rig, including coyote, groundhog, fox, etc. I'm not quite sure they're legal for hunting turkey though, you might want to check on that. I believe you're only supposed to use shotguns for them but your state might be different.

Guys are always talking about this caliber in the small game forum, though. You should go poke around. It might be helpful.

As far as accuracy, I have heard they are top notch. I don't own one, myself though but a buddy of mine does and he swears by it for coyote hunting.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 AM

I live in PA where we can use them for fall turkey. I think its only rimfire but it might be all rifles. I want to start coyote hunting but i bought a .204 ruger for that. I love that rifle. Ill have to ask in Small Game Forum and see what responses i get there.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever tried using fmj in the .22mag? They leave same exact wound channel as .22lr but with more range and penetration.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't shoot any small game you want to eat with the .17. Unless you head shoot it that is.

Imagine being a kid again and putting an M-80 in a bullfrogs mouth. That effect is what you will experience on squirrels and rabbits with a .17. I have litterally eviserated squirrels from stem to stern with it (although, I should have waited for the thing to turn sideways).

As for accuracy, mine is deadly. The gun can shoot spent primers out of shotgun shell hulls at 100 yards all day. Wind is a very big deal past about 75 yards. A 5-10 cross will throw you off a good 2-3 inches at 150 if you are dead on at 50.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Spike

The 17 Hmr will be a good choice for most all varmints, although anything small you want to keep the pelt off of I would stay away from the 17-grain V-max bullets, as they will just blow up the little critters.

For pelts and table fair, one will probably do best to stick with a 20 grain Hornady XTP, as they are less likely to fragment. Usually the XTP bullet will mushroomin nicely giving a pin hole entrance & a small exit wound channel.
For longer range flat shooting and little wind drift the 17 grain V-max bullet will be hard to beat. I personally would have no problem taking out a P-dog at 175 yards with my 17HMR and the 17 grain v-max bullets. I would not feel at all comfortable taking the same shot with any bullet from a 22 Mag, just for comparison.
For more info give the following site a look. Should answer all your questions & more

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...a1c1f&f=15
Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 PM

We are not allowed to use fmj ammo for hunting out of any gun in PA. Thanks for everyones input. I guess im going to have to shoot it morea nd see if i like it better then my .22 mag. I know im accurate out to 200 yards with the .22 so i guess it will take time on the range.