Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Back up rifle necessary? >

Back up rifle necessary?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Back up rifle necessary?

Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back up rifle necessary?

A back-up is a good idea, and I'd go with the .308 simply b/c of the ammo availablility. You will be able to buy it almost anywhere and may be able to mooch some off some of the other hunters in camp.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

Do I think you need to buy a backup firearm? Not nessisarily.

However, I would at least make sure that there is one availible for you to use depending on your situation.

Ask yourself this:

If you dropped your gun from your treestand, and somehow damaged it - would you be ****acke out of luck, or would there be a gun availible for you to use within a matter of a short walk back to the ( cabin, house, farm, barn, truck, friend's truck, friend's house, ect, ect ). If there is a gun you can use, and would be confident in using, then I wouldn't worry about the purchase, and just pick up an extra gun when you can.

If you said "NO, I don't have a gun that I could use within a matter of a short walk, an hour, whatever" - then I would probably pick up an extra rifle, get it sighted in.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Id try to go with a bck up rifle that is chambered in your same round or go with the 308 its a good time proven round works well on almost all game and is relitevely cheap and easy to find. Plus its a good rifle to start a new hunter out with has little recoil and good knockdown power.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you need a back-up, and then a back-up to your back-up, and then a back-up to your back-up's back-up, etc, etc.............
Old 01-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Here's my situation boys, I currently eat ham sandwich's however I was considering purchasing a back up sandwich (possibly either a turkey or liverworst). What are your suggestions regarding these two sandwich's and what do you guys think of buying a back up sandwich? I was just thinking in case I'm on a trip and my sandwich malfunctions for some reason.
ORIGINAL: Garminator

Here's my situation boys, I currently hunt with a 270 wsm however I was considering purchasing a back up rifle (possibly either a 308 or 300 wsm). What are your suggestions regrding these two calibers and what do you guys think of buying a back up rifle? I was just thinking in case i'm on a trip and my rifle malfunctions for some reason.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nap time?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM

my advice always have a extra gun. There is alot of reasons to have one and if you dont then your SOL. I went hunting on the river the other day and me and my buddy by ourselves had 16 guns between us so buy more than one but dont spend alot of money.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

Yes you need a back-up, and then a back-up to your back-up, and then a back-up to your back-up's back-up, etc, etc.............
I'm with this guy. When I go out west hunting I take my 7mag for my primary gun, my 243 for a secondary gun, my 50ML for a third option, 223 for fun, 357, 40, and a 22 mag just for good measure. Some think I am over-prepared, until they see a critter and ask to borrow one of my guns.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger140892

I think in your case a back up rifle is a bad idea. Instead, spend your money on psychotherapythat mighthelp you make easy, no brainer decisions on your own, and stop flooding the board with dumb#ss posts.
psycho therapy? now that's original.....I think you need to stop signing in on your daddys computer and get to bed PUNK. How old are you son? 10

Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

As always, thank you all for the advice, you guys are the best. God Bless & Happy New Year.

Quick Reply: Back up rifle necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.