Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Back up rifle necessary? >

Back up rifle necessary?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Back up rifle necessary?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Back up rifle necessary?

Here's my situation boys, I currently hunt with a 270 wsm however I was considering purchasing a back up rifle (possibly either a 308 or 300 wsm). What are your suggestions regrding these two calibers and what do you guys think of buying a back up rifle? I was just thinking in case i'm on a trip and my rifle malfunctions for some reason.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Back up rifle necessary?

We keep at least one extra gun sighted in for the 3 of us.

Never know if one would malfunction, get dropped, bang the scope, ect.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:27 AM

Our deer camp is 9 hours from home.. The cabin usually looks like a gun shop! Everyone brings a rifle some guys bring 2(usually a bolt and rem pump or a lever-gun),everyone also brings a sluggun usually with an extra bird barrel,, and usually there is 2 or 3 muzzleloaders there as well!

If your buying a "back-up" gun and you dont already have one,, buy a 50 cal muzzleloader,, youll probably get some extra seasons too hunt to go along with it!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

A second rifle is a good idea. You never know if something might go wrong with one rifle and if you’re far from home it could be a real downer. For me it was a good reason to get a second rifle when my wife asked...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:15 AM

I think in your case a back up rifle is a bad idea. Instead, spend your money on psychotherapythat mighthelp you make easy, no brainer decisions on your own, and stop flooding the board with dumb#ss posts.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I don’t see nothing wrong with Garminators question...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

On any hunting tripI bring along two rifles. I always bring two chambered for the same round and bullet this way if happens to one I've got the other to fall back on without having any worries.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, having a second is always a good idea just in case. While it's tempting to get a back-up in the same chambering, if you happen to forget your ammo, you're out of luck for the back-up too. Keep one chambering common so that most any shop/store will have some in a pinch. .308, .30-30 and .30-06 are most always available at any place that sells ammo.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 AM

Hey Ranger, lighten up on the guy! This is where hunters and shooters come to share ideas, ask questions and get assitance from those more knowing!!!

In reply to your sincere question, yes,a back up rifle is well worth the money spent. Unless your hunting trips are close to home and cheap, I'd recommend a second rifle. Imagine you've booked a $3500 trip out west for elk or mule deer and the gun malfunctions, drops, whatever Murphy's Law could happen etc. You can reach for your back up and know that gun performs. To borrow a camp gun could mean you get a piece of junk, or something less than desirable to shoot.
I always take 2 guns on ANY trip I go on. Last year in our NY deer camp, a friend of the camp owners came to hunt with last minute notice and showed up at camp without a gun. I loaned him my back upand was able to tell him exactly how the gun was sighted in and all the other what and wheres that go with it. Enough said.
Good luck in your purchase.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 AM

I always relied on one gun but have always had a backup available.
When going far from home I take my trusty 30-06 for my primary and my Ruger 7mag as backup.
I keep an extra scope for my '06 in Leupold QuickRelease rings.(used to use weaver for the scope swap)
I think you should worry about scope failure before rifle failure.
NEF/H+R is an inexpensive backup.

My brother uses a muzzleloader as his backup.
My dad always took his Remy 12ga to backup his 700
One of my uncles always carried a 44RemMag revolver to backup his .308

Quick Reply: Back up rifle necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.