Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil - Perception vs. Reality >

Recoil - Perception vs. Reality

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil - Perception vs. Reality

Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recoil - Perception vs. Reality

For an all around rifle fore mule deer antelope and elk I would pick the 7mm rem ag over the 06 only because it shoots a bit flatter. You can load 140 bullets that shoot very flat and the recoil is darn near the same as an 06. I have taken deer, antelope, caribou and moose with my 7mm all with one shot each so far. As already well said a proper fitting rifle will make all the difference.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Vanguard 7mag just smacks the taste out of my mouth every time I shoot it..lol. Seems like its a sharper jab than the 06. The big 7 is just a tad much for my shell of a shoulder. It might be fine in another makeof rifle...I may have to try this one out.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Skeeter7MM--
Where did I make my mistake in my ammo choice for the 7mag? I shot 150 grain Rem CorLokt PSP's factory loaded. My shots were about 70 yds on the mulie and 100-110 on the antelope. Why such shot out meat? If you're shooting a 140 grain pill, thats moving even faster. Do you shoot behind the shoulder and punch only ribs? You have to forgive me, but I live in NJ. My main hunys are in NJ, NY, and PA. NJ and NY require quick kills or the deer runs down a hill and the next guys finishes it off. Now its his deer! So I always shot dead on the shoulder or a neck shot to drop 'em where they stand. When I hunt Montana, its very different out there. Most of the time the only other hunters I see are the guys in camp. You've got plenty of time to choose your shot. Enlighten me. Teach me something about the 7mag.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like my .270 but for elk you might want a 30 06
Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 AM

If I had to lug around an extra pound or two to take the recoil of the 7mm, then that would make the difference. While you don't feel the recoil on the shot, you sure feel the weight at the end of a long day.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Something to keep in mind is when your sighting in during the summer you might only have on a t-shirt. When hunting your probably going to have on many more layers. Make sure your rifle fits you when your wearing your hunting gear.