Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 125 gr. 30.06 >

125 gr. 30.06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

125 gr. 30.06

Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Default RE: 125 gr. 30.06

Well first off,I know very little about reloading and ballistics etc. My wife & I shoot a .308 with 125 grn loads thather uncle loads for us. He uses the Sierra pro-hunters. Also,he hand loads everything and is very fanatical and particular about his ammo. We have had ZERO problems with this load on whitetails and hogs. I've made good shots and bad shots (through bone)and still recoverd my game. Penetration has never been a problem. They have been very accurate loads and I absolutely love to shoot my rifle. There may be "better" loads but I see no reason to change right now. JMO

TXMM
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming the bullet is designed for appropriate penetration on whitetails, and it is reasonably accurate out of your rifle, I can't imagine why it would be "too small." I use 100 gr. Core-Lokt's out of my .243. Seems to me that 125 gr. Core-Lokt's out of a .30-06 ought to work at least as well...
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 AM

The 125 gr Federal Power-Shoks shoot awesome out of my Pre-64 Model 70 30-06. I tried them out thinking the accuracy probably wouldn't be good based on what I have read. I was shocked after I got zeroed in, I shot one 3 shot group. It was < 1". Pretty sure I posted a picture of that target on here several weeks ago, but too lazy to look for it right now. I agree with ipscshooter. I can't imagine that this would not work well for deer.