Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .243 for deer >

.243 for deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 for deer

Old 12-18-2006, 01:22 AM

Default RE: .243 for deer

Well, up here, a 243 WSSM seems to make deer, sheep, and goat look dead real quick.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:41 AM

And people ? me about why I bought my kids win ballistic tips 95gr at allmost 30$ a box,, for the reason of anchoring them and error.... The dear does not get up and run away when hit with them badboys... that bullet explodes and shatters everything in its path.....I would take that shot with a ballistic tip.... That deer not going no where but down.. Use the correct bullet and you will never have a problem...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 AM

buy your cdl in 243 and enjoy!! i have a battery of rifles that go beyong any sence. i've built customs cause being a southpaw ain't easy if you wantsomething just like ....

my #1 rifle is a custom, i built it years ago before the cdl was availible and when a lh bdl was as scaresas anything you can think up.

its a remington lh, 243 ackley imp., i shoot prairie dogs whith it every summer, last trip was 1000 rds, most trips are 500 to 800, varget and 70 gr. ballistic tips= 100yd red mist 200yd mist with chunks 300 and 400yd superdogs 500yd to whatever you can seeand walk a shot to. i enjoy calling coyoteas well,great load for them as well. i've been shooting deer with the rifle since it was built, its a switch barrel rig, a sendero type conture for varmints, a strong #3 conture for calling coyotes and deer, i've put a que industries brake on both barrels allowing me to tune for loads (similar to a browning boss). never lost a deer, never had one go more than 50 yds. last double lung was the 50yd deer shot at a distance i was completely confident in but would raise the ire of those who think little but know nothing of the 243. i shoot a barnes x bullet in my rifle for deer, muley and whitetail, this has been an excellent performer for me. the actionis nestled in an accurate innovations stock, with a burris black diamond 4x16 ballistic mildot in warne quick release rings/bases.
the rule of 5's was taught to me early.
rule of 5's as spoken to me buy my granddad..
never take a shot at anything deer or otherwise till you can take your rifle and load and by placing 5 clay pigeons on end (facing you) fire one round into each clay, standing on your hind legs/ sling, no rest without a miss and as quickly as you can work the bolt and reaquire the sights.whatever distance you can perform this drill at.. and repeat, 5 times, elliminates the lucky shot..this is your farthest off hand distance. then you practice this with field type rests standing, kneeling etc. those distances to the same end, 5 shots no miss 5 times. you will spend time shooting yourrifle to accomplish this, you will know your rifle and its triggerto accomplish this, you will trust your abilities and your rifle when you accomplish this, and you will probably be the best shotamongst your hunting buddies, when you accomplish this.the 243 shines here, most hunters have not could not perform this drill with thier rifles, and the guys that love the biggest baddest magnums will come up with more excuses than you would ever believe as to why they won't. yes i can do the drill with my 06, don't like to though, love doin it with my 243, love watching my son smoke me with his, first time he cleaned the set of 5 faster than his old man was a damn proud day for both of us..
buy your 243, shoot it, learn it, trust it, enjoy it.
just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That rule of 5 makes sense...I like it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Under those conditions you are right about the 243. Next question, Out of 100 hunters, how many do you think can do it? I might also add that under those same conditions, a 223 would do the same thing. If for some reason I needed a combo deer/varmit rig and I couldn't find a 25-06 I might consider a 243. If I am buying a rifle for deer hunting, No way. Give me a 260 on up.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 still doesnt impress me. My expierence has shown me the .243 will out penetrate the .270 90% of the time.Seen another deer killed this weekend with the .270, perfect broadside shot and didnt pass through, last weekend same thing but was shot with a .270 wsm. Dont care about gel tests or anythin else, it seems like the .270 rarely passes through deer, thats what I have seen.
I have shot deer and hogs out to 250 yds with my .243, it always blows right through anything in its way, neck bone or shoulder bone, spine or whatever.
.243 doesnt have any problems at any angles
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

The .270 still doesnt impress me. My expierence has shown me the .243 will out penetrate the .270 90% of the time.Seen another deer killed this weekend with the .270, perfect broadside shot and didnt pass through, last weekend same thing but was shot with a .270 wsm. Dont care about gel tests or anythin else, it seems like the .270 rarely passes through deer, thats what I have seen.
I have shot deer and hogs out to 250 yds with my .243, it always blows right through anything in its way, neck bone or shoulder bone, spine or whatever.
Would you mind telling us what kinda bullet you were using, compared to what kinda bullet the .270's were using?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

doesnt matter what bullet I use in my .243, I have had only 2 out of probably a 100 deer not pass through, both those were a 100 gr, corelock.
yesterday was a .270 win powerpoint last weekend was a .270 wsm fed. fusion
Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM

doesnt matter what bullet I use in my .243, I have had only 2 out of probably a 100 deer not pass through, both those were a 100 gr, corelock.
yesterday was a .270 win powerpoint last weekend was a .270 wsm fed. fusion
No wonder, they didn't pass through, they expanded too much on the inside and did sever damage to the vitals, they didn't need to exit, you, take head and neck shots, so, they will usually pass through, the .270 has more power and will out penetrate a .243, any day of the year, but, you must compare apples to apples. BTW, if you want pass throughs, start using a premium bullet, and hitting the deer in the vitals.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Would you mind telling us what kinda bullet you were using, compared to what kinda bullet the .270's were using?
zrexpilot
There is more to the story that you are not telling us. I have killed more than 75 deer with a 270, and my son has killed 10 with his 270. I have never had a problem with bullets passing through deer or hogs, so what is the rest of this story?

Quick Reply: .243 for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.