Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!! >

Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

ORIGINAL: kelbro

I also disagree (reluctantly) that .243 is a minimum for deer. I too thought that way for years but there are way too many deer falling every year to the .223s and 22-250s to draw a hard line at .243.
Amen !
I laid the smack down on 6 axis deer 2 years ago using a .222.
3 never took a step
Old 12-14-2006, 10:10 PM

Hey, I used to live in downtown Little Rock, and routinely used a .300 Win Mag to hunt deer just outside of town.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have trouble understanding why people pick the smallest caliber they can too. It really makes no sense whatsoever. Using a hornet on deer is just silly and stupid, whY? I think most of these posts these days are dishonest and just from people that only have maybe one gun, maybe young guys. I beleive most will say anything to prove their point. who's to prove em wrong.
Big, you share my pain, I don't understand why someone just can't use a sensible caliber like 30-06 or .270, those calibers make more sense, and are much more suited to hunt deer sized game than a .22 Hornet, or similar cartridges.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have trouble understanding why people pick the smallest caliber they can too. It really makes no sense whatsoever. Using a hornet on deer is just silly and stupid, whY? I think most of these posts these days are dishonest and just from people that only have maybe one gun, maybe young guys. I beleive most will say anything to prove their point. who's to prove em wrong.
If using a Hornet is silly then using a bow is idiotic. Like I said I havent wounded one with my Hornet but cant say that about my bow.
Wounding or even losing a dead deer running with a bow is inevitable.(sp) But when I use my Hornet they never take a step.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

If using a Hornet is silly then using a bow is idiotic. Like I said I havent wounded one with my Hornet but cant say that about my bow.
Wounding or even losing a dead deer running with a bow is eneavatable.(sp) But when I use my Hornet they never take a step.
Most broadheads that I know of, were actually intended, and designed to hunt deer with, I don't think the .22 Hornet was designed for hunting medium sized game.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Wounding or even losing a dead deer running with a bow is inevitable.(sp) But when I use my Hornet they never take a step.
My first example folks.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting with anything smaller than a .243 in my state is illegal, therefore I cannot use my .223. If I could, I might but only on my own property where I know that I would have a perfect shot and am very confident in my aim. I would also more than likely shoot the deer in the head since I doubt that I would do enough damage if the shot isnt just spot on. The small calibers just dont have enough bullet mass to do proper damage on a consistant basis on medium sized game. But then again the .223 was developed as a man killer for war purposes the way that I understand it. It is a topic that I am torn on. I know that back when things where very tight for my family back in the late 50's early 60's my single shot .22 took more deer than any other gun in our family. But then again it was a means to eat...... Its all about shot placement guys, whether it be a .22LR or a 45-70 it doesnt matter, if you cannot hit the target properly it wont go down. And to Chantecler111, I think that we have always pretty much agreed on most things, there was just one particular post that we strongly disagreed upon and I ended up seeing the light and agreeing with you anyways. Most everything other than in that thread I have agreed almost whole heartedly with you about. You are the man lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TUK101

Hunting with anything smaller than a .243 in my state is illegal, therefore I cannot use my .223. If I could, I might but only on my own property where I know that I would have a perfect shot and am very confident in my aim. I would also more than likely shoot the deer in the head since I doubt that I would do enough damage if the shot isnt just spot on. The small calibers just dont have enough bullet mass to do proper damage on a consistant basis on medium sized game. But then again the .223 was developed as a man killer for war purposes the way that I understand it. It is a topic that I am torn on. I know that back when things where very tight for my family back in the late 50's early 60's my single shot .22 took more deer than any other gun in our family. But then again it was a means to eat...... Its all about shot placement guys, whether it be a .22LR or a 45-70 it doesnt matter, if you cannot hit the target properly it wont go down. And to Chantecler111, I think that we have always pretty much agreed on most things, there was just one particular post that we strongly disagreed upon and I ended up seeing the light and agreeing with you anyways. Most everything other than in that thread I have agreed almost whole heartedly with you about. You are the man lol.
Oh no, TUK, you are THE man.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

"Energy levels with ANYTHING from the .260 to .30 calibers, ANY size deer, at usual hunting distances, is perfect! No deer at normal distances from 0-300 yards could ever tell the difference in a .260 or a 30-06! (excluding magnums, and the 30-30, exluding these ONLY due to MORE than enough power or in the 30-30's case shorter range capabilities.)
I pretty much agree. Between .260 and .30 cal for typical hunting I doubt 'a deer could tell the difference'.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

We could probably agree if weresisted the need to add comments such asI layed the smack down with .22 cal or if i could use it I would but only head shots, etc. This stuff don't fly with a lot of us, so we feel the need to rebutal and hence starts the disagreement.

BTW Tuk some view the 3006 as the "jack of all trades but the master of none"....

Nature of the beast I guess. Excellent try Jag

Quick Reply: Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.