Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more. >

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

The 30/30 i liked so much because it was the 1st gun i ever deer hunted with. I believe it was the Marlin 336CS. I prefered the marlin over the winchester because of the design and feel. It just felt like it fit better in my hand then the winchester did.
Today i do not own a 30/30 there's just no place close i can use it. the county I live in and surrounding counties are bow, ML and shotgun only.butthe 30/30has always been my favorite gun.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I've said some nice things about 30-30; in the interest of full disclosure/even-handedness, I'm going to list the downsides. This is more about the rifle, a Marlin 336W:

1. Heavy for size. It is short and handy, but just a tad heavy. I'm used to a very light muzzleloader, and before that a Savage 111F in .270 which was quite light. The Marlin feels heavier than either of those, but it is shorter - and short is a virtue.

2. More prone to operator error. I carry it into woods with round in chamber and set at half-cock; I need to remember to TAKE SAFE OFF while in the tree. Why? That safety isn't silent, whereas I can cock the rifle silently. Worse - you can have safety on if you squeeze trigger, hammer will SNAP home. Took a buck last tuesday. I got deer in crosshairs and dropped the hammer on the blasted cross-bolt safety, having forgotten to put it on Fire. With a bolt gun, I wouldn't have been able to sqeeze trigger/make noise; with the Marlin it made a very loud CLICK as hammer hit home, and no discharge. Had to re-cock, turn off safety - that not-silent safety - then put bullet through buck's heart as he tried to figure out where noise came from. With my old Savage, I simply wouldn't have been able to sqeeze trigger.. and could have silently slipped off the safety.

3. In cold weather, it's cold. All that nice-looking exposed metal at receiver is cold in the cold.

4. With bulky gloves, getting fingers into trigger guard/lever can be a little awkward.

5. Inconvenient to load/unload; doing so repeatedly mars the bullets/cases, as they've got to be cycled through the chamber. Lately at end of day I've taken to carefully unloading chamber, and closing bolt on empty chamber and putting that one round back in magazine with the others. I'd prefer to fully unload for safety/legality reasons (need to check this), but as I said it's inconvenient.

6. If I see deer across field, I'll be leery of taking the shot that I might take with the .270. On the other hand... if it is too far for me to shoot with the 30-30, it is probably further than I should shoot, unless I've a perfectly steady rest and ideal conditions. I'll have to practice some 200yard shots with the 30-30.

Those are all the flies I can find on this rifle/cartridge. I still like it, it's beautiful, it hammers the deer and I got a great deal on it... just need to remember to take that safety off when in the tree or stalking!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean about the safety. It is a good thing to have on the gun for safety reasons, but after using an older Marlin 30/30 without one I am having the same problems as you are with forgetting about the new crossblock safety on my new Marlin .44 magnum rifle. Its something that I will get used to, but it will take some time. It is a great feature to have when you have young kids around though.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Spike

I'm a fan of the lever actions...I personally hunt with a 32 Win. Special
as my gun of choice. I dohave a 300 win. mag. that has been in the cabinet right next to the 30-06, but I seem to always choose the ol' 32.
It just feels right, it never let's me down and has been passed down from my grandfather (so of course a special bond there). I do feel it's just the operators preference.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Carry the Marlin enough, and it will be second nature to push of the safety as soon as you get situated in your stand. I shot a doe about 10 or so years ago, and when I pulled the trigger all I got was a click. I pushed off the safety, and shot again and killed the deer. The safety is no big deal now, but I have carried it for a long time.

C. Davis