Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more. >

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

My father has a Winchester 30-30, and a marlin 30-30. I found the Marlin better. The remington had loading probs, and was less accurate using the exact same round!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

By the way I had very poor results trying the Hornady Leverevolution through my 336 this year. I was getting at least 14" of drop at 200 yards with the stuff. I believe it is because Hornady advertises trajectory out of a 24" barrel that is on the new Marlin XLR leverguns.
I have heard that same thing before. It probably depends greatly on the rate of twist in the barrel as well as the length.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Ilikemy Winchester model 94 30-30 I have taken lot's of deer with it. It is sort of semi retired but still one of my favorites.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TUK101

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

By the way I had very poor results trying the Hornady Leverevolution through my 336 this year. I was getting at least 14" of drop at 200 yards with the stuff. I believe it is because Hornady advertises trajectory out of a 24" barrel that is on the new Marlin XLR leverguns.
I have heard that same thing before. It probably depends greatly on the rate of twist in the barrel as well as the length.
TUK is correct. The twist rate on the XLR guns is 1:12" and standard twist in 336 guns is 1:10". I have talked to several people that have had great accuracy out of standard guns with LeverEvolutions. I have had good, but not great, accuracy out of my 336T, but it has been good enough to down 4 deer. For me, their performance on game is worth staying with them.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey retrieverman....

Quick question - in those cool photos of you and your buck, does your 336T have see through scope rings? I'm just curious, what kind of setup you have.

I love my "plain jane" Marlin 30AS with theopen iron sights on it. But yet, I might consider looking at a small Bushnell 1.5-4.5 x 32 scope for it. I don't know... Maybe...

Butch A.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butch
I used see thru mounts 25 years ago and hated them, so I set my 336T up with Talley rings that mount low. It makes for a better cheek to stock fit and gives the gun a more "compact" feel to me. Also, I don't have very good eye sight, so iron sights are pretty much worthless if I expect to hit anything.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to be purchasing an iron rear sight for my 1894 44 Magnum after Xmas. Would like to get one sooner, but kids come first. Damn priorities lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 PM

I just mounted a 4x-32 Bushnell scope on my 30-30 and plan on sighting it in tomorrow. I was originally going to use see thru mounts but decided not to because the scope would be too high and i wouldn't use the iron sights with a scope on it. Can't wait to shoot my 30-30.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Win70

The reason the guys on the hunting shows are using the big "super duper, better than anything else you could possibly get your hands on guns" is that these are the guns of the shows sponsors. Beretta isn't going to sponsor the show, Beretta Outdoors and the allow the hunter to use what he wants, he's going to have to use a beretta rifle, his camo hat is going to have to say Beretta on it, all comercials associated with the show are going to have to be about Beretta products or products in which the Beretta company holds stock in, and the same applies to all gun mfg's. It's all about the money, and not necessarily what makes good sence. I like to hunt with what I like to hunt with. I like the 30-30 and .35 Rem from Marlin for deer even though the people with enough money to produce their oun TV show to advance their products try to tell me otherwise and in a subtle way suggest that I'm not smart enough to choose. Those hunting shows, even though entertaining are nothing more than a huge commercial. Oh well I can't bitch, I like Beretta too...................Good Hunting
I was going state exactly the same but WIN70 beat me to it.
100% dead on this one .
I'm in south fl , and still use both my .35 rem and my m-94 in 30-30.
I see some hunters using a 300 Rem Ultra Mag on these little 90lb deer we have down here , over kill and loss of meat.
There countless new hotrod calibers out which like them or not are good shooters and good for the gun industry. I prefer some the older tried and true calibers that have stood the test of with commercial aspects of it .
Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, I hunt for the meat and not bragging rights. Well, also for the experience of it and nowdays to hopefully teach my kids some good work ethics and kind of what the real things in life are. Life, death, the hunt, the kill, the reward. And that you dont kill what you cannot eat. I am not a trophy hunter, but dont get me wrong, if ole tirty pointer shows up his ass is mine lol. My 13 year old son got his first deer this year, using my .270. He would have been using the 30-30 but we where having a hard time sighting it in. Ended up having to file the rear sight down due to it shooting about 8 inches high at 50. Before I gave it to him for Xmas last year I took the scope off and had new open sights put back on it, well it shot straight, but very high. After missing 2 deer I finally let him use my old Remington mdl 710 .270 and whatta ya know, 1 shot and a kill. It kindof brought tears to my eyes to see him so happy lol.

Quick Reply: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.