, but I thought I would ask anyway. My 13 year old son has been bugging me about getting him a 22 for christmas. He says he wants a bolt gun but I wasn't sure if that would be best or if some other action would be. The budget is tight..." />

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need some opinions

Old 11-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some opinions

I know that few on this forum has an opinion , but I thought I would ask anyway.

My 13 year old son has been bugging me about getting him a 22 for christmas. He says he wants a bolt gun but I wasn't sure if that would be best or if some other action would be. The budget is tight so if I get him one it will need to be on the lower end of the price spectrum. What are some of the decent 22 rifles that would fit into this catagory? This gun would primarily be for him to plink and practice with and maybe do a little small game hunting, i.e. a fun gun.

Thanks for any input you all can provide.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some opinions

I believe the best first rifle for a child is a single shot. Very easy to check the chamber. I also believe a hammer is a very safe feature for a child. The rifle is also inexpensive-so stock alteration is not expensive. Open sight shooting is also the way to go. Teach them the right way the first time. Tom.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

I know that few on this forum has an opinion , but I thought I would ask anyway.

My 13 year old son has been bugging me about getting him a 22 for christmas. He says he wants a bolt gun but I wasn't sure if that would be best or if some other action would be. The budget is tight so if I get him one it will need to be on the lower end of the price spectrum. What are some of the decent 22 rifles that would fit into this catagory? This gun would primarily be for him to plink and practice with and maybe do a little small game hunting, i.e. a fun gun.

Thanks for any input you all can provide.
I say go for the 10/22. It fits the budget and the need. Just take a little extra time to make sure he knows how semi-auto's operate and just give him one shell at a time until he demonstrates the needed knowledge and safety. 13 is plenty old enough for a semi-auto as long as he is instructed properly. That was my first gun and it lasted many, many years, was fun to shoot and super durable.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies so far.

I should have mentioned that he has been shooting for several years now using my old Remington bolt 22 (I can't remember the model but it is at least 50 years old) and also does well with my 38 revolver. He also has his own muzzleloaders (1 sidelock, 1 inline) and does pretty good with those. I still keep close tabs on him when he's shooting and have taught him the proper way to shoot and the importance of muzzle control. He is becoming quite a good shot and now wants to have a newer 22 of his own to shoot. I know it's sacreligious to say but I don't see a big need for another gun at this time (and my wife sees even less of a reason) but I also know how much enjoyment he gets out of burning a few dozen rounds when we go to the range.

I've not really had any experience with the 10-22 but I understand a lot of people like them. I use to have access to a Nylon 66 that I thought was a lot of fun to shoot but I haven't seen one of those in a long time. How about lever action 22's? I have a marlin 336 in 30-30 and he likes shooting it, maybe I could go that route.

Any more thoughts out there?
Old 11-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can normally find semi-auto marlin .22LR's at any pawn shop for around $50.00
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Thanks for the replies so far.

I should have mentioned that he has been shooting for several years now using my old Remington bolt 22 (I can't remember the model but it is at least 50 years old) and also does well with my 38 revolver. He also has his own muzzleloaders (1 sidelock, 1 inline) and does pretty good with those. I still keep close tabs on him when he's shooting and have taught him the proper way to shoot and the importance of muzzle control. He is becoming quite a good shot and now wants to have a newer 22 of his own to shoot. I know it's sacreligious to say but I don't see a big need for another gun at this time (and my wife sees even less of a reason) but I also know how much enjoyment he gets out of burning a few dozen rounds when we go to the range.

I've not really had any experience with the 10-22 but I understand a lot of people like them. I use to have access to a Nylon 66 that I thought was a lot of fun to shoot but I haven't seen one of those in a long time. How about lever action 22's? I have a marlin 336 in 30-30 and he likes shooting it, maybe I could go that route.

Any more thoughts out there?
In general, lever action .22s are pretty spendy. I have a .22 mag Ithaca saddle gun that is a fantastic little rifle but they are hard to find. For the money, the 10/22 is the way to go. It's accurate too.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:07 AM

My pics would be a savage or marlin bolt action, both are nice and very simular. The savage accutrigger would be nicer than a stock marlin though. Then would be the marlin model 60 semi auto. And if you are thinking lever gun take a look at the base model Henry .22. They should be around 200 bucks and are very nice guns. I had one and it had the smoothest action I have felt on a lever gun and was very accurate. Probably the most accurate .22 I have had out of the box. Of course I may have gotten lucky on that.

10/22's are nice, especially if you want to upgrade it, the options are limitless on what you can do to this gun. I'm not real fond of them out of the box for the money though. That is just a personal opinion though and nothing more.

I have owned all of the guns I listed at one time or another and all were good guns. The two bolt actions will most likely be the cheapest though. You could also go with a H&R/NEF single shot. Heck, you could get a over and under in 22/20 ga or something, that would be fun. Or Rossi makes some kits that come with a few different barrels. I'm not real fond of the quality on a Rossi though.

If I could pick any of the guns I listed to have again it would be the Henry. I really liked that little rifle. My dad has a marlin lever gun and it is very nice as well, however it cost twice what my henry did.

Paul
Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

if he really wants a bolt action i dont think the savage bolt actions are very pricy and would be a very reliable accurate gun or taurus makes pump action guns that are very nice and have a resonable price you should be able to find one for under $170