Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage MK II F 22 Rimfire >

Savage MK II F 22 Rimfire

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage MK II F 22 Rimfire

Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage MK II F 22 Rimfire

Anyone buy a savage 22 rimfire lately? Santa may need to pick up a .22 this year, and the savages look pretty good for the money. Wonder how well they work.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Savage MK II F 22 Rimfire

I've never shot a Savage before and I am sure they are great rifles. But have you looked at the Marlin brand. My Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle is a fun gun to shoot. I love that gun. Holds 14 rounds in the magazine and it's a semi-auto. But it also depends upon what you are looking for. Good luck Buddy!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: dway87

I've never shot a Savage before and I am sure they are great rifles. But have you looked at the Marlin brand. My Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle is a fun gun to shoot. I love that gun. Holds 14 rounds in the magazine and it's a semi-auto. But it also depends upon what you are looking for. Good luck Buddy!
I agree, the Marlin .22 and .22 Mags are great guns, I had one of their Bolt Action .22 Mags awhile back and it was a great little gun.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM

The marlin and savage bolt action rimfires are near identical in looks feel and performance, price as well. I own a 17 hmr savage heavy barrel and used to have a .22 in the same model without the heavy barrel. My 17 is great and the .22 was pretty decent. Both required a trigger job out of the box to be nice, but so will a marlin. Of course the newer savages come with the a accutrigger so that is a plus.

I will agree the marlin model 60 semi auto is a great gun for the money. I have owned a few of them as well over the years. One was my first .22. Another decent gun to look at in the 200 dollar range is the Henry lever action .22. I had one of them a few years ago and it was a great gun for the money. Probably one of the most accurate .22's I have owned out of the box. Very smooth action as well, trigger wasn't the greatest though, but acceptable for plinking and small game hunting. Simular to a H&R or NEF if you have ever fired one.

The plain jane savage rimfires are not the prettiest rifles on the rack, but they shoot well, especially for the price.

Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

My son just bought a Savage model 62 and loves it. This is the first time I've ever shot a Savage and it does shoot nice. Well worht the money.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a Savage MK II BV for about 2 months now, & I'm really happy with it. The trigger is wonderful, & I like that the gun is really heavy for a .22: it's great for practicing my offhand, kneeling, & prone shooting because it's nearly the same weight as my .30-06. Oh yeah, it seems to shoot some pretty tight groups, too! FWIW, this is my 1st Savage, & I'll definitely consider another.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my son a MK II F last christmas. .22lr with a black synthetic stock. Great little bolt action ! Light enough that a kid won't get tired toting it in the woods or to the range. I think I paid just under $100 at Walmart for it. he loves it, has taken a few squirrels and is now pestering me for a scope. The only thing with the base model is that it's not drilled and tapped for a scope base,and to get it done will cost more than the rifle itself. Check that out if you're thinking scope later on.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Itook a closer look atmy son'sMKII F (at the suggestion of others on another thread) and it has a grooved receiver that will accept 3/8 tip off mounts. Bought a set at Walmart and mounted an old Weaver scope I had on it. Shoots like a champ. Disregard the tapping and drilling I mentioned earlier. I like this little bolt action so much, I'm getting myself one for Christmas and giving the 10/22 a rest for awhile. There's just something about a bolt action rifle that speaks to me, " Mac, shoot me, shoot me". Squirrel season is upon us in NW Florida and the little limbrats better beware.