Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. >

RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 PM

Default RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

I am planing on buying a newRifle in the 30-06 caliber bolt actionfor whitetails. I am on a strict budget of about $350. Currently I am looking into getting a Remington 710 model. I have heard a lot of good things about them and a lot of bad things. Some say they are cheap and unrealiable. One of my buddies that shoots a Model 700 says that the 70 shoots just as good as his, not sure which 700 he has but I think its a BDL or something. I really need one that comes with a scope due to the budget scenario. I am also looking at the Savage models, but another buddy of mine owns a Savage model 111 and it looks like it is built really cheap. The bolt is pretty stiff and stuff like that, although I do like the accutrigger. I am currently usin a Remington Model 870 Super Mag 12 GA for my all around hunting and I need a deer rifle. Can someone help me out here that is familiar with the 710 or something cheap that works good?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Default RE: RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

ORIGINAL: LOUISIANA WHITETAILS

I am planing on buying a newRifle in the 30-06 caliber bolt actionfor whitetails. I am on a strict budget of about $350. Currently I am looking into getting a Remington 710 model. I have heard a lot of good things about them and a lot of bad things. Some say they are cheap and unrealiable. One of my buddies that shoots a Model 700 says that the 70 shoots just as good as his, not sure which 700 he has but I think its a BDL or something. I really need one that comes with a scope due to the budget scenario. I am also looking at the Savage models, but another buddy of mine owns a Savage model 111 and it looks like it is built really cheap. The bolt is pretty stiff and stuff like that, although I do like the accutrigger. I am currently usin a Remington Model 870 Super Mag 12 GA for my all around hunting and I need a deer rifle. Can someone help me out here that is familiar with the 710 or something cheap that works good?
How dare you say the Savage is built cheap, the 710 is built cheap, go with the Savage. Whenever you see a Saavge rifle with the trigger guard built into the stock like the 710 then you can call it cheap.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM

I have a 710 in the .243 caliber. Shoots pretty good. Yeah there are good things and bad things about the 710. Comes with a Bushnell scope and I like it. Yeah it may be a different kind of synthetic but it's good enough for me since i won't be shooting it but a couple times a year. it just depends on how much shooting you will be doing. I got my 710 as a present and I am happy with it. But i am not a gun expert so i could be wrong too.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 PM

I didnt say it was cheap, I said it looks cheap. I have no doings with a Savage therefore I dont know thats whay I ask you guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM

I was just kidding, anyway, yeah, go with the Savage, very reliable, accurate, and a better bargain than the 710, again, sorry if i sounded like a jerk.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
GCW

I have no experance with the 710 so I cant comment on them.But I have shot alot of the savages,110 and 111.I have not seen a bad one yet,all have shot good.You should also look at the Mossberg ATR100.I have a ATR100 in 270 that shoots real good.I bought mine last winter and have under 300.oo dollars in the whole gun with scope and sling that I bought for it.WAL Mart has these guns for 244.00 dollars and they come in 30/06 and 270.I killed my deer this year with it a few weeks ago and it did everything I could have asked from a cheap hunting rifle.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 PM

Although my 710 was given to me as a gift, if I would of had the choice I would have went with the Savage. Personally I think the Savage looks better than the 710. But I can't complain either. Anyone would take a free gun. Even a 710. Plus I killed a nice 8 point buck this past weekend so obviously it does the job. But go what you feel is comfortable. Maybe save up more money and get a Remington 700. Mossbergs are not bad either. I would take one anyday.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 PM

Dway, I'm curious, how far did your buck go after being hit?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 710 works ok, shoots pretty well but has a terrible track record here on these forums. Personally if I was you I would go to place that you plan on purchasing a rifle and try them all out and see which one fits you. Another consideration is the local pawn shop. Chances are you can get a good quality rifle with a scope and a wood stock, something that you can customize as finances allow for your $350 budget. Used is not always bad, sometimes it can be good, very good.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man for $350 I would buy a Leupoldscope and put it on whatever rifle you can borrow from a buddy. The scope is THE MOST important part of a hunting rig. A great rifle, with a poor scope is destined for poor results (you can't hit what you can't see), but any well cared for rifle, no matter what manufacturermade it, is capable of minute of deer accuracy and repeatibility with a good set of mounts for a good scope.

Quick Reply: RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.