Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. >

RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 AM

Default RE: RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Go with the Savage, a lot of rifle for the price. They are not pretty, but well made, accurate and durable. I own 2 savages, both with accutriggers, and really like them.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:06 AM

How about a used gun? Do you have an ad bulletin or traders guide available. Always lots of guns for sale around here. Look at the pawn shops, great place to find the bargains.
I hunt with the Remington 700BDL and Ruger M77. Savage makes a good gun, but most everyone has a good gun. Shop around. I'd buy the better used gunverses the cheaper new gun.
Just my opinion.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:49 AM

On your budget I would suggest you go to wal-mart and look at the Mossberg model 200 I think it is. It is made by savage I'm pretty sure. It doesn't have the accutrigger though. Then I would top it with a Nikon scope. You won't be able to buy a top of the line scope but Nikon makes the best of the resonably priced scopes. As stated before opticscan make or break a weapon. If you're not interested in the mossberg I would recommend the savage over the 710 any day.

As for the pawn shops. Around here I look weekly for Rem 700's to make custom guns with. Its rare to find even a rough 700 under $400.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

What about a remington 700 sps?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

On your budget I would suggest you go to wal-mart and look at the Mossberg model 200 I think it is. It is made by savage I'm pretty sure. It doesn't have the accutrigger though. Then I would top it with a Nikon scope. You won't be able to buy a top of the line scope but Nikon makes the best of the resonably priced scopes. As stated before opticscan make or break a weapon. If you're not interested in the mossberg I would recommend the savage over the 710 any day.

As for the pawn shops. Around here I look weekly for Rem 700's to make custom guns with. Its rare to find even a rough 700 under $400.
I think your refering to the Stevens Model 200, which yes, is made by Savage.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

LW,
I own both the 710 package (in 270)and the Savage package (in 243).
The 710 is in a camo synthetic stock and is actually a very tough durable stock. The scope on the 710 has been fine through over 1000 rounds now.
The receiver on my 710 is the nylon receiver and is not nearly as smooth as the Savage. However I believe the new 710 has a metal receiver.
The scope that came with the savage would not focus correctly from day 1. I sent it back to Simmons and not only did they replace it but they upgraded it.
Both of these guns shoot great. My groups are similar with both guns. Off1 sandbag up front and shoulder holding the buttI shoot 1.5" 3 shot groups pretty consistantly with factory ammo. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Not great but thats all I can do the way I shoot.
The accutriger on the savage is a nice feature. I was able to lighten it up just where I wanted it. This can't be done with the 710.
The barell can't be changed on the 710. I'm not sure i'll ever need it but either way it's not possible.
I have killed deer with both guns and between these 2 guns and my Marlin 30-30 I have a tough time deciding which one to take each day. All of them have been very reliable in the field and at the range.
Good luck in deciding
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM

I own two Savages and love them both. A 30-06 that I got at a gun show for $250. that will smash clay pigeons at 300 yards all day long. And a Tactical .223 that will do better than that. I think I paid $ 300 for that one. There are a lot of GOOD used weapons out there...............Oh yeah, My Win mod 70, 30-06 Carbine w/ hand checkered walnut circa 1984 I paid $ 300. for that one.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Well the good news is whatever rifle I decide to choose I will be able to get it at cost from where my dad works. Tomorrow I will behunting withmy buddies Savage Model 111 .270, and I will see how I like it. I am also going to look at a couple of pawn shops around and see whats in store. Yes, I have checked out the Model 700 SPS, the only down fall is it has no scope, but with the price at cost I will see what I can do. I am going to get my dad to check the cost tomorrow at work, and I will let you guys know what the price is that I can get it for.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LOUISIANA WHITETAILS

Well the good news is whatever rifle I decide to choose I will be able to get it at cost from where my dad works. Tomorrow I will behunting withmy buddies Savage Model 111 .270, and I will see how I like it. I am also going to look at a couple of pawn shops around and see whats in store. Yes, I have checked out the Model 700 SPS, the only down fall is it has no scope, but with the price at cost I will see what I can do. I am going to get my dad to check the cost tomorrow at work, and I will let you guys know what the price is that I can get it for.
Thats the way to go man. Try that Savage out before you decide. Then maybe at your pops cost you can afford to put a better scope on it if you decide on that one. Good luck on your decision and on your hunting.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedLion..check the classifieds forum...and surely someone will give you a good deal on this site

Quick Reply: RIFLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.