Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Fellow slug gun hunters, need input >

Fellow slug gun hunters, need input

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Fellow slug gun hunters, need input

Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Fellow slug gun hunters, need input

Well, it is time to get a new slug gun (as soon as this season is over). Here is a little background. Over the years I have had quite a few concussions. Now, they are easier to get and are worse, and take longer to recover from. I went and sighted my slug gun in over the weekend, and guess what? I have a concussion from it.[:'(] I just can not tolerate the recoil at all anymore, nor do I want to go through it any more. Here are my considerations.

If I go with a pump action, or single shot it will have to be a 20ga.

If I want a 12ga, it will need to be in a gas operated semi-auto.

My max price range will be $800, for bare gun.

Should I go with a 20, or a 12?

What guns do you personally reccomend? Any thoughts or ideas, or any other option I am missing? And thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 10:55 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fellow slug gun hunters, need input

I would go with a 20ga. with the new hornaday slugs, maybe something like a h&r with a bull barrel to take up some of the recoil. With the bull barrel you will have a gun with xtra weight to take up the kick. Rich
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 AM

NEF Ultra Slug Hunter, 20 g. Heavy barrel, accurate, inexpensive weapon. Outperform almostevery (if not all) 12 g smootbore on the market. Next gun I'm going to buy.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM

That was definitely one of the guns on my list. Maybe I will try and find one in stock and check it out. Here are a few I was thinking about.

870 Synthetic with 18.5" cantilever bbl 20ga.
11-87 Sportsman 21" cantilever bbl in 12 or 20ga.
H&R Ultra slug hunter 20ga

My wife shoots a Remington 1100 12ga with cantilever bbl. I can handle it just fine. In fact I will probably be using it when she is not able to go out with me. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

a 20ga will work well as far as pump a 500 or 870 would both work well here is my question Have you ever thought about switching to a muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders have less kick and longer range you are already thinking about a single-shot
Old 11-14-2006, 01:19 PM

Sounds like a 20gage would work for you. You could also likely use a muzzleloader as well depending on restrictions.
That is if your not shooting a savage 10ML-II with 69grns of IMR 4198 pushing a 250grn bullet, like I do when I want some real snort.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

see my post in this forum on the NEF 20 gauge bull barrel slug gun. Great sytem, accurate out to 125 yards, lower recoil, good looking, easy maintenance, and inexpensive. I'd recommend it to everyone.
I bought the interchangeable barrel systems in about 6 different calibers for a heck of a lot less than buying different guns. You'll have more money tied up in different scopes anyway if you did buy more guns! I love my system!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM

Remington also makes their Buckhammer sabot slugs in a "managed-recoil" version. I think they claim close to 50% reduction in recoil. Don't know just how well the "ComforTech" works but look at this:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/supernova.tpl

I see you're also in Illinois, have you thought about handgun hunting? Recoil will still be strong but none of it is going to be sent to your brain. A dedicated revolver in 44mag with a scope would have roughly the same trajectory and WITH Practice would likely get you about the same groups as alot of guys are getting with slug guns.
We have a "firearm" season now and you can take your pick of Shotgun, Handgun, or Muzzleloader.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:22 PM

If recoil is really a problem for you look for an 1100 or 11-87 in 20 ga with a rifled barrel, cantilever barrel if you want it scoped. Then get a good after market recoil pad, like a simms or something simular. Adding some sort of recoil reduction device inside the stock wouldn't hurt either.

And remember, with recoil weight is your friend.

You could also look into a stock that absorbs recoil like they use for skeet and trap. I would suggest checking out some skeet forums if you are interested in that.

Also keep in mind some 20 ga shells kick about as hard as some 12 ga shells, really depends on how they are loaded.

The H&Rs are heavy and nice on recoil, but I bet a gas operated gun would feel even better. I own an H&R Ultra in 12 ga and it still thumps me pretty good.

You also might want to consider going with open sights over a scope. If you are really that prone to head injuries getting whacked with a scope by accident will not be a good thing. If you do get a scope look for a good one with generous eye releif, at least 4 inches would be my advice. In your situation I would really look at getting a gun with good open sights and spending the money you would have spent on optics for a better gun or recoil absorbption (is that a word? doesn't look right).

Just my thoughts anyway.

Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 04:52 PM

Thought about it some more and also want to add that if you can find one of those "comb raising" kits they might help alot with the amount of energy that transferred to your brain. They're essential foam pads that go ontop of the stock. I got one this year for my scoped 870 and was suprised how much difference it made (didn't buy for recoil but so I could actually shoot through the scop and still have a good cheek-weld)

Quick Reply: Fellow slug gun hunters, need input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.