Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Modern Ammo in Antique Shotgun >

Modern Ammo in Antique Shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Modern Ammo in Antique Shotgun

Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Modern Ammo in Antique Shotgun

Looking at a Savage Fox B likely from the early 60's. Just wondering if I can use modern ammo in it. I have heard in the past that "Older Guns" may not be able to handle it. Of course, how old is old? I'm not talking about hevi shot or anything. Just regular 2 3/4 lead or bismuth shot. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Modern Ammo in Antique Shotgun

Houts...Now you're making ME feel old...<<grin>>...

A gun made in the 60s can be considered "modern"...

"Older" guns would be guns made mostly prior to 1920, with damascus or twist steel barrels, or chambers shorter than 2 3/4"....

You should be able to shoot any current factory loads safely in your Fox Model B as long as they are the proper gauge and chamber length..

One consideration...Many guns made prior to the implementation of steel shot laws ( pre 1970 or thereabouts) were made with thinner walled barrels...It's not recommended to shoot them with steel shot..It's not a safety matter, but steel shot can cause a bulge in the choke area of some of the guns that were manufactured before steel shot became mandatory...This can negatively affect the value of the firearm...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

being made in the 60's yes it will shoot modern ammo fine aslong as the gun itself is in good working order. I have 2 older shotguns one was made in the 1920's its a montgomery ward 12 ga I also have a Remington mod 11 that was bought new by my grand dad in the 1940's. both shotguns function fine with modern ammo.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 AM

I would only be cautious of shooting the Bismuth. Bismuth like Heavy shot is moredense than lead and may effect the barrel. If it were mine I would probably stick to lead shot through it.

You could call the Bismuth folks for a reccomendation. More than likely from a liability standpoint they would advise against it. It would be worth a call though.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]