Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cold storage >

Cold storage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cold storage

Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Cold storage

My wife is getting upset with the number of guns stored in our house, so I am thinking about buying a large gun safe to put in either the garage or pole building. Neither of these buildings is heated. I live in northern Wisconsin where, as you probably know, it can get extremely cold in the winter. Would the cold and humidity be a problem? If so what, if anything, can I do to protect the guns from the cold and humidity. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold storage

I wouldn't do it. I don't specifically know what freezing weather will do to your guns but I know it can't be good. Also, in that environment the potential for condensation developing inside the gun safe is very high. This makes the potential for rust developing on your guns likewise high. Remember, tempurature changes, condensation and humidity are your enemies and you'd be putting your guns in a prime spot to experience all three.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Thank you. I guess the new safe will have to go somewhere in the house. Wife is going to just love it.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally wouldn't do it just based on the fact that the safe will be essentially insulated, meaning that it'll be warm longer and prone to condensation problems and cold weather will be bad for your lubricant...BUT

Cold air holds less moisture than hot air, so while you will experience condensation problems on the first blush while the cooling air can't carry it's moisture load anymore, you'll actually be storing your guns in drier air if it's cold out.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
DM

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.... Being in a safe, the temp change is slow, and that helps to keep moisture out.... The other option is, is to wire the safe, and put a "small" light bulb in the safe that will let off a small amount of heat to keep it above freezeing. You could do the same thing with a small room in the pole bld.. with a light in it along with the safe... The second locked door will just make it more secure!

That's what i do with my welding rod ect.... Only i put it in an old fridge as it's insulated well...

DM
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM

I find myself agreeing that putting your guns in the garage or poleshed would not be a good idea. So either in the house of sell some off. Which option would your wife vote for?!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter how much moisture the cold air holds.When the safe heats up and cools down in thecourse of a dayit will form condensation. Also, if the air inside the safefreezes, water will form onyour guns when the air temp rises again.

Metaldoesn't belong outside period.

Not trying to start a bigfight butthis is pretty common sense stuff.

I've seen my friends gunsdevelop rust in a matter of days just frombeing in a gun case in a vehicle.

I've also hadone of my .22's developmassiverust just fromsitting under a frequentlyopen windowinside my house.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with all of these other fellers and say, "KEPP IT INSIDE!" Guns can develop corrosion in a matter of days when not keep in I deal conditions. I don’t even like to keep mine in a case too long without a thin layer of CLP on it. If you do geta safe I recommend one that has humidity control items to it. Even one of those battery powered dehumidifiers work wonders. I pack some desiccant with my guns even just transporting them around in the case. I'm only 21 and in the military so I can’t afford to have any type of preventable problems happen to my firearms. I have a Rem 760 (my first rifle) that was made in 1969. (I ran the ser no.) When I got it, (I was 14, and yes I bought it myself. I have had a job since I was 13) there was minor corrosion in the barrel and under the slide. I bought a Remington breakdown guide and proceeded to restore it to factory condition. I recently had it appraised a gun show for approx. $500. That's 350 more then I paid for the rifle!! I have always been taught to work hard for the things you want and take good care of them when you do get them.
Sorry to rant and rave, that’s just my stand. Just tell the wife they will be securely housed in the safe, in side the house. Put it in a closet or something if you have one to accommodate a safe and she will eventually forget they are there. Both sides win!??!?!? WOW that never happens any more.

To reiterate, I would NOT put the guns outside of a temp regulated area!