Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Black Shadow or Savage Model 110GXP3 >

Winchester Black Shadow or Savage Model 110GXP3

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Black Shadow or Savage Model 110GXP3

Old 11-14-2002, 08:10 AM

Default Winchester Black Shadow or Savage Model 110GXP3

Ok. I am down to these two rifles for deer: Winchester Black Shadow and the Savage Model 110GXP3(the one that comes with the sling and scope). I chose these two because they are in my price range for the hunting I will be doing. I intend to maybe harvest two or three deer this season (3 is the law). It will be strictly a big game rifle. When hunting season is over in the cabinet it will go until next year. I guess I am a box of shells a year hunter.

My question is which one would you buy? All comments will be taken into consideration.

Old 11-14-2002, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Black Shadow or Savage Model 110GXP3

Having 3 Savages in the rack now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. They are all very accurate, dependable, and were all affordable.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:52 PM

I bought my son a Winchester package gun. I guess this is a Black Shawdow. It is a 270 with a Simmons 8 point 3X9-40 scope. I took the creep out of the trigger and lightened the pull a little. The gun with him shooting it groups at a little over an inch to maybe a little under two inches with 150 gr reloads. He loves to shoot this gun. This is his second year with it and he took a whitetail at about 175 yds and a downhill shot on top of that. I paid $329.99 for this gun and consider it one heck of a bargain.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Win. black shadow in 30/06 and I like it.I don't really like the synthetic stock but like you it is the only one in my price range.The safety has three settings, one that locks the firing pin and the bolt, one that locks the firing pin but you can use the bolt to unload and load the rifle, and off. The scope that came with mine at wal-mart is passable, but will not give you any extra shooting light in the woods. My buddy has the savage 110gxp3 and the trigger on that rifle is a little better than the Win. but IMOP the Winchester is a better made rifle.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-15-2002, 09:13 AM

either one will keep you happy, though i dont really like the name blackshadow, so i think i would get the same especailly with some new information that has come to me: the fact that with a set of go, no-go gauges and a new barrel (total cost like $170). you can change caliber using a barrel sold by midways usa. thats just neat

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Spike

I bought a Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag and easily adjusted the trigger to near perfection and at the time WalMart had ammo for it on sale for around 14.00 a box and I bought four boxes.With Remington factory ammo in 150 grain this rifle shoots three shot groups of better than a minute of angle. I put a better scope on it and would use it on any game except Brown bear with the right bullets.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Host of Hosts

I really like my Black Shadow, it shoots good! I don't own a Savage anymore, but when I had them I liked them too. Either one will suit your needs.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 11-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

The Winchester is a much better-made gun. If you look at the prices of used Black Shadows vs. Savage, they will tell you all you need to know.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting