Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Found respect for Savage rifles >

New Found respect for Savage rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Found respect for Savage rifles

Old 11-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Found respect for Savage rifles

In the Past I have been critical of Savage rifles for certain things but recently after watching some members shooting various and sundry rifles in anything from 22-250 thru 338 have really been impressed with the accuracy. To the man they have mentioned how good Savage customer service was and They have also mentioned how reliable the rifles are. My question is if they can basically with a lot of hand labor btw create a great shooting rifle for 300-400 bucks why is Remington selling a rifle that costs considerably more and has a lot less hand fitting involved in its construction. I'm thinking the reason may be it costs more to build rifles when you also sponsor a Nascar team.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:13 AM

Default RE: New Found respect for Savage rifles

I think remington has gotten to big and the employees think they are worth more. the management probably also likes dipping a little also.
labor cost! it will kill them. the gun industry is not the automobile industry.
I think in order to remain in the industry they are going to have to look at the cost of the firearms and quality of them. other companys will come along and take their market. thats what savage is doing.
i saw a show that went into the savage factory and showed employees at work. it was so apperent that they had pride in what they did and the product they put out. employees that had been there 20 + years. you don't see that very often.
look at smith and wesson the company IMO has shot itself in the butt they will have to return to quality and remain there for a long time to regain their reputation.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-14-2002, 09:15 AM

Pride in workmanship, to some, is worth far more than just a pay check!

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:15 AM

I think remington has gotten to big and the employees think they are worth more. the management probably also likes dipping a little also.
labor cost! it will kill them. the gun industry is not the automobile industry.
I think in order to remain in the industry they are going to have to look at the cost of the firearms and quality of them. other companys will come along and take their market. thats what savage is doing.
i saw a show that went into the savage factory and showed employees at work. it was so apperent that they had pride in what they did and the product they put out. employees that had been there 20 + years. you don't see that very often.
look at smith and wesson the company IMO has shot itself in the butt they will have to return to quality and remain there for a long time to regain their reputation.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have gotten some snickers from folks at the range when i set three Savages up in the rack, but they soon stop when they see them shoot. The other thing some people complain about is that "ugly barrel nut". Well, MidwayUSA and Adams & Bennett have just come up with a way to utilize it to be able to have a Savage chambered in a variety of cartridges just by switching barrels. They even have 270 and 7mm WSM for you believers.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Switch Barrel rifle very interesting Frizzelr ..that would be a great setup and having the ability to remove the barrel would allow you to breakdown the rifle and pack it into a less conspicuos case...Hmmmm
Old 11-14-2002, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you need is a Savage barrel wrench and a set of Go, No-Go gauges for the cartridge.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:20 AM

i really like the idea of a savage 110 and a barrel change to .35whelen.
and if im not mistaken, i belive frizzeler either studies his midway catalog a lot or he reads Guns and Ammo.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-14-2002, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

propmahn, actually both. Plus I talked with a gunsmith who has been custom chambering Savages for years. I might be able to get a 358 Win afterall.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 AM

i cant hunt with a rifle in my state but an affordable 35 whelen might be in my future, the deal is just too good

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Quick Reply: New Found respect for Savage rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.