Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Turkey load out of a Slug barrel??? >

Turkey load out of a Slug barrel???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Turkey load out of a Slug barrel???

Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Turkey load out of a Slug barrel???

Is this a safe idea....saw a guy at the range yesterday who said he was gonna try it....so i moved to the 100yd.

Would that work?

Pines
Old 10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey load out of a Slug barrel???

Never personally tried it but,from what I've heard from others that have, it doesn't work to well. The spinning imparted on the wad by the rifling causes the the pellets to scatter abruptly. The resulting pattern is large and inconsistant, from what I've been told.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot shot through some of my slug guns in the past, never liked the patterns much for anything but self defense....It's not dangerous in any way, it actually should have LESS barrel pressure than as fired through a standard shotgun bbl, it just gives you really crappy patterns.

If the rifling does indeed impart rotation on the wad and shot cup, instead of just carving away parts of it as it leaves the bbl, the shot, as mentioned above, will get spun out pretty substantially. I'm not going to say that it's necessarily all to do with the rifling however...I'm sure it doesn't help anything imparting the spin on the shot, but...

If memory recalls, most slug bbls are cylinder bore, i.e. NO CHOKE whatsoever, and they typically have a shorter bbl anyway, usually between 20-24"....so combine the centrifugal force driving the spread radially, and the fact that the broad choke and short bbl would have a rapidly spreading pattern even in a smoothbore, you just DON'T have a good gun.

Aftermarket replacement barrels are available for most slug gun models anyway.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
bigcountry

Going to get a big ole donut pattern. Can't hit jack past 15 yards.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:07 PM

Yes the rifles in the bore tend to sling the shot creating a very ugly donut shaped pattern.