" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quit talking about the 7mm-08 >

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

I am confused about some statments. I know I don't get to the range very often and don't profess to know everything but I bought a 7mm-08 for my son because I liked the cartridge and many people told me the gun has a little less recoil. I do not shoot elk and I am not a scientist.
I went to Guns & Ammo and got the following info on 7mm-08 & 308.

All Data is at 300 yards

7mm-08
139gr BTSP-LM Hornady, Velocity 2304, Energy 1639, Trajectory -7.0
139gr SST-LM Hornady, Velocity 2430, Energy 1822, Trajectory -6.5
150gr SP Federal, Velocity 2040, Energy 1390, Trajectory -9.2

308 Winchester
150gr SP-LM Hornady, Velocity 2212, Energy 1629, Trajectory -7.7
150gr SST-LM Hornady, Velocity 2326, Energy 1805, Trajectory -7.1
150gr BTSP Hornady, Velocity 2084, Energy 1447, Trajectory -8.5
168grBTM Hornady, Velocity 2102, Energy 1648, Trajectory -9.0

Am I missing something? How can you claim that the 308 is an elk cartridge and the 7mm-08 is only a deer cartridge? How can anybody claim that the 308 does something that the 7mm-08 cannot? I do not see much if any differences in these calibers.
Froma pure data standpoint. I would believe that the 7mm-08 139gr SST-LM is the superior cartridge. More velocity, more knockdown, and better trajectory.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its good to know we have these "experts" like Brutal in the Fish and Wildlife careers.

Brutal - How did you get the title of "professional hunter?" Is this a self-proclaimed title? I'm really curious?

I've read every page of this post just now, and all I see is Brutal being a lil cry baby.

BTW - the 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot an elk at 300 yards + with one.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Well folks,

I'm just about done with this forum. It was good while it lasted. This used to be a fun and peacefull place to come to. It was a nice diversion from work for a few years. We used to have fun and light hearted discussions/arguments once in a while, but for the most part it was a good exchange of ideas and opinions about a sport we all loved. Now, its all about mudslinging and name calling and "I'm smarter than you". I'm sick of it. So heres what may very well be my parting shot:

Brutal I've tried asking you to tone down your rhetoric to no avail. You are just too arrogant and conceded. You think that because you have a BS and work for the Game and Fish that you are the greatest, smartest swinging d**k in the woods. You'll grow up some day. You think because you go to the range twice a week, and you shoot elk in culling operations that everyone should listen only to you. Well, I'm sick of your attitude. Futhermore, if you are the typical employee of the F&G then my opinion of them is greatly diminished. I think you are suffering from a tremendous case of "Barney Fife" syndrome. And yes this is a personal attack and I fully acknowledge the fact that I've regressed to name calling.

OBTW, I have degrees. One of which happens to be a BS in animal science. Does that make me a "trained Scientist?" I also shoot often, many times surpassing your twice a week standard. Does that make me more of a firearms expert?

I also build custom rifles as a hobby. We consistantly produce sub 1/2 Moa hunting weapons from our garage. Am I suddenly a better gunsmith than Ed Brown? Do I have more knowledge than Gunsmiths who do it for a living day in and day out? I think not.

I'm also a liscensed Scuba Diving Instructor Trainer (that means I teach Instructors I've hunted Big game all over the North American continent. I run a multi million dollar corporation. Does any of this make my opinions more valuable than the next guy? Hell No! Does it give me the right to Discount everyone elses opinions? NO! I wouldn't be as successful as I am if I was that self absorbed and arrogant.

Yes Shato of all the people on this website your the one who has given me the most trouble in my short stay on this forum, you degraded me in such a manner, when I gave my opinion about recoil reduction, that you acted like a child.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ? all bickering aside.I was comparing the 7mm-08 and the .280 rem on the Federal web site.
It shows the BC of all rounds.
I chose the 140 Nosler Partion Botail in both rounds,well it shows the 7mm-08 witha BC of .463 and the .280 witha .459.Why the diffrence same Dia. of bullet and same make.Is it due to the increse velocity of the .280 that makes it less in the BC department.I know .004 ain't a heullava lot I was just wondering.
BBJ
Old 10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I chose the 140 Nosler Partion Botail in both rounds
The nosler partition is not a boattail.Furthermore,I just checked the Federal website and I can't find any listing fora 140gr partition load for the 280rem.They only list a 150gr partition load.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
DM

I have a ? all bickering aside.I was comparing the 7mm-08 and the .280 rem on the Federal web site. It shows the BC of all rounds.
I chose the 140 Nosler Partion Botail in both rounds,well it shows the 7mm-08 witha BC of .463 and the .280 witha .459.Why the diffrence same Dia. of bullet and same make.
It's a typo, as the BC is the same no matter what cartridge it's loaded in! Same for the SD

The only other answer i can think of is, perhaps one data is old and the bullet has changed a tiny bit, and posted with new data for the other round???

DM
Old 10-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Believe it or not, the ballistic coefficient on the same bullet changes as the the velocity changes. Not a lot when the bullet is above the speed of sound, but quite a bit (for the better) when the bullet drops below the speed of sound.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry it's the Nosler Solid base Boat tail,thatI was refering to.
BBJ
Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Once again BBJ and I agree.

The 280 is a superior round to the 7-08. As I've stated before the 280 is my favorite weapon.

If anyone can tell the difference between 8 inches and 7 inches at 300 yards they are a better shot than me. I personally would much rather shoot a 140 gr. 7mm bullet than a 150 gr. 30 caliber due to thebetter sectional density. but like they say opinions are like butts....everyone has one....some stink worse than others....
the .280 is superior to almost everything. I don't see why you insist on comparing 140 gr. to 150 gr. bullets. I don't know why anyone would use a 30 cal 150 gr. for anything other than punching paper, at least not when you have an option of a 180 gr. that outperforms aeverythign else.
I use the 150gr bullets in my .308 because it refused to group any facotry 180 i tried. Did more like patterning.....3"+ @ 100 yards. The 150s on the otherhand grouped ~1"-2". In my gun the 150's were superior as far as accuracy..... havent gotten my reloading press up and running yet though.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Its good to know we have these "experts" like Brutal in the Fish and Wildlife careers.

Brutal - How did you get the title of "professional hunter?" Is this a self-proclaimed title? I'm really curious?

I've read every page of this post just now, and all I see is Brutal being a lil cry baby.

BTW - the 7mm-08 is an excellent cartridge and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot an elk at 300 yards + with one.

Still wondering how brutal got his PH title...............

Quick Reply: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.