Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting IN your rifle >

Sighting IN your rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting IN your rifle

Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Sighting IN your rifle

When sighting in your rifle do you have it cranked right up to it's highest power or a lower power and why?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sighting IN your rifle

With a good scope the point of impact should not change as the magnification is adjusted.However,with a new scope,I would test this for myself.I use the highest magnification for sighting in as it allows the most precise aiming.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 PM

my scope on my gun is a 3-9 power, if i am using my rest i use the highest seting, but if i am resting with just my elbows i usually put it to half, and reason being is because it makes it look a little less shakey through the scope. seems to work for me.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mybigredford

my scope on my gun is a 3-9 power, if i am using my rest i use the highest seting, but if i am resting with just my elbows i usually put it to half, and reason being is because it makes it look a little less shakey through the scope. seems to work for me.
Same with me but mine is a 4x12
Old 10-10-2006, 10:06 PM

will agree with the above, if i have a solid rest(which if your sighting in i guess it would be dumb not to) then i crank it up as much as i can without affecting the shakiness, but as long as your holding steady then what ever works for you is fine, if you dont have a fixed scope then changing the objective lense should not change your current Zero, have fun with it and good luck as always,
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you dont have a fixed scope then changing the objective lense should not change your current Zero
We are talking about the magnification setting,not parallex.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

After bore sighting, I will take a couple ofshots at 50 yards on the highest magnification power(usually 9-12X). I willthen tweak it at 100 yrds. @at the highest magnification power.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting at the range I also set my scope to highest power to be more precise...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 AM

I sight in on 3x @ 50 yards, then 6-12x @ 100 yards and farther. Once I am hitting well, I will turn down the power and shoot at 100 and 200 yards. I will try on 4x at 100 yards and around 6 power for 200 yards. Just a personal thing to see if still fairly accurate at a lower power shooting a longer distance, as you never know when a longer shot needs to be attempted in a short time and at a lower power setting. I believe and others I have read have stated, that all scopes with shift POI, as least a little bit when changing power setting.

Quick Reply: Sighting IN your rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.