Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester 100 (308) >

Winchester 100 (308)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester 100 (308)

Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Spike

Default Winchester 100 (308)

Hopefully someone can help here.

This rifle shoots great....in the warmer weather. But when I get it out for opening day in Northern Wisconsin it always, and I mean always jams after the first shot.

I had a gunsmith tear it down, and he worked on the metal parts, while I refinished the stock. That didn't help either.

I clean it after any extended time on the range, and after deer season. I thought that somehow to much oil was present and was causing problems in the cold weather, but I still have the problem even after the gunsmith cleaned it.

Specs:
Winchester Model 100 in .308 cal. - Semi-auto
Rem. 165 grain PSP Core-lok

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Old 10-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester 100 (308)

Have you tried any other ammo?
What kind of jam? Stovepipe? Won't eject? Won't rechamber the new round? What is it doing / not doing?

I'm guessing you have done this already since you had a smith clean it, but I'd clean it whistle clean and leave it bone dry of lubricant adding only a little of the non grease based lubes ... like teflon, etc.

And trying some other ammo might help, but it sounds like you may need a smith that intimately understands the Win 100 and have it checked out for parts wear.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The model100was recalled for problems with the boltand action, you need to make sure that you'res was return and repaired before you keep using it I have seen soon that have blown out the breech so be carefull with it. they are great guns I have one in .284 and love it.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Spike

It's not a Stovepipe jam, but the spent casing is not ejecting, so the next round is not being chambered. I can usually clear the jam with my fingers, without to much effort.

I haven't tried any other ammo. Any thoughts??? I really haven't used anything but Rem. ammo.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the caseing if the ejecter is not riping the case you may need a new ejecter finger they done cost much.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:59 PM

I know .22s are not the same as .308 autos but my marlin used to jam on me all the time when i used federal ammunition, after finally using up all those rounds i bought remington ammo and after never having it jam figured out that it was the ammo, so just by switching ammo i now have no problem with my .22, hope you figure out your problem, good luck,
Old 10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I had a similar problem with mine. My rifle is a pre-64 with cut checkering and not the basketweave on the stock. I did send my gun in during the recall and they replaced the firing pin. When doing so they marredsomething slightly inside the bolt after my local gunsmith polished this it solved the problem. This is only after changing the extractor and ejector to no avail. Also you may want to check your magazine as mine was slightly bent and would only function properly when loaded with 2 rounds.I purchased a new clip and this corrected that problem. Therifle is finicky and does have to be kept very clean in the chamber or jams occur.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

"and he worked on the metal parts,"

This doesn't tell us much! What, specifically, did he do to the metal parts? Are you sure what he did actuallyimproved its functiooning? Have you got any idea of WHAT CAUSES the jams during cold weather?

You could TRY removing ALL oil and grease/dirt from all moving parts, then relube with a totally dry MOS2 lubricant or powdered graphite. That's what I used to do to winterize rifles (including M1's and M14's) for use in interior Alaska at temperatures of -45 or colder.

Quick Reply: Winchester 100 (308)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.