Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My own gun

Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My own gun

I'd go with a Remington or a Ruger in 7mm-08. I would think a good used Rem 700adl could be found for around $300-$400 with scope. I have a Rem 700adl in 270win and this has been my go to gun for years. Have several brands and cal. of rifles and the 700 is the one I grab when going deer hunting!!!! Zeak
Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Ruger 6.5mmSwede
Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to come across a Ruger in 6.5x55mm Swede, I'd consider it heavily, but my budget will force me to get a used rifle, and I'm afraid that there might not be a used 6.5x55 Swede for sale, since the Swede is a more rare caliber. From what I've heard, it can be used on, varmits,deer,and elk, and perhaps moose.

However, I find that the chances of me finding a 6.5x55 are slim, it would be better to think of a caliber that I could be assured of finding at a large retailer.The nearest dealer in my area iscalledBenton Shooter's Supply.It's inBenton, Tennessee.
There is another one in Athens, Tennessee, which I haven't checked out yet, but me and my unclewent earlier to Benton Shooter's Supply, and I found out that I liked the Remington actions.
I didn't quite remember what I thought of the Ruger actions though, since the only bolt-action RugerI noticed was the new frontier rifle, and it had an outrageuous price tag! So I didn't really look at it much. The rest were mini-14's. Next time, I'll look closer.

However, I really am leaning towards a 7mm-08, since I'veheard that it can be used for varmits, deer, elk, and even moose. And, it's light on recoil, accurate, and has a flat trajectory.
I think that sounds like the right gun for me.
I'll keep a special lookout for one. I am now more certain than any other time about what gun I want, but one question remains, should I get a Remington ADL, or SPS? I need answers on that, because I see no difference in the two, and I wonder which one would be better and why.

You guys are really helping me out here, don't stop!

Old 10-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

That sounds good, but I'm too big for compact models now.
But a regular Ruger should come in 6.5x55 Swede.
You are never too big for small rifles!!! I have too many big ones and am going smaller now!! ( I am200 lbs and 5'10", no prob with recoil, small guns just are handy!) I am looking at getting a ruger compact as we speak...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

If I were to come across a Ruger in 6.5x55mm Swede, I'd consider it heavily, but my budget will force me to get a used rifle, and I'm afraid that there might not be a used 6.5x55 Swede for sale, since the Swede is a more rare caliber. From what I've heard, it can be used on, varmits,deer,and elk, and perhaps moose.

However, I find that the chances of me finding a 6.5x55 are slim, it would be better to think of a caliber that I could be assured of finding at a large retailer.The nearest dealer in my area iscalledBenton Shooter's Supply.It's inBenton, Tennessee.
There is another one in Athens, Tennessee, which I haven't checked out yet, but me and my unclewent earlier to Benton Shooter's Supply, and I found out that I liked the Remington actions.
I didn't quite remember what I thought of the Ruger actions though, since the only bolt-action RugerI noticed was the new frontier rifle, and it had an outrageuous price tag! So I didn't really look at it much. The rest were mini-14's. Next time, I'll look closer.

However, I really am leaning towards a 7mm-08, since I'veheard that it can be used for varmits, deer, elk, and even moose. And, it's light on recoil, accurate, and has a flat trajectory.
I think that sounds like the right gun for me.
I'll keep a special lookout for one. I am now more certain than any other time about what gun I want, but one question remains, should I get a Remington ADL, or SPS? I need answers on that, because I see no difference in the two, and I wonder which one would be better and why.

You guys are really helping me out here, don't stop!

You can order it through any walmart for about 510 OTD depending on state sales tax....thats about as cheap as a bolt rifle comes...