Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many of you shoot until it drops? >

How many of you shoot until it drops?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many of you shoot until it drops?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you shoot until it drops?

Very good post Paul L Mohr
Old 09-24-2006, 04:34 PM

First off I would really like to say that I have to agree with paul on this one. I havebeen hunting for 9 years and have harvestedbetween 22 and 24deer.I gun hunt only (soI dont know about bow hunting)I have shot around an equal portion of bucks and does. I have alsoshot 4 bucks that weighed over 200 pounds and one that weighed 239 dressed. And out of these 22 or sodeer, Inever needed to take more than one shot (EXCEPT ONCE) And this was becauseI had to. I don't know why, but I had to. I shot him in the vitals 3 times, (while he was standing there) (he didn't move an inch) Then I spined him and he started running on his front legs dragging his hind legs on the ground. At this pointI was out of my stand and on the ground. I put another slug in him from the left side. It entered in his lung and he dropped immediately. As my father and I approached the deer. he put his head up and looked at us. My father then took his shot gun, (because mine was all out of slugs) And he put the barrel behind his head at the base of his skull and blew his throat out. The deer took another 5 breaths before it died. When we dressed this deer, he had no lungs and no heart, it was all liquified.
I dont know why this deer did this, but it did. All shots where placed perfect and it was inside 78 yards. The last 2 shots where inside 25 yards.

I will (NEVER) shoot at a running deer. But I will not let one stand around like this particular one was doing. All my other deer have never required a second shot. The furthestI have ever seen one run afterI shot wasno more than 60 yards (ever)I have also seen deer get shot, jump up in the air and when thier feet hitt the ground , they are dead. ( I DONT FEEL IN ANY WAY, IF A DEERRUNS OFF AFTER THEY ARE VITALLY WOUNDED THEY REQUIRE A FOLLOW UP SHOT.) I am 100 % confidentin my shots. andif a deer runs afterI squeeze the trigger( whether I have iron sights, bead or crosshairs on the vitals I am sure its going down.) Im not going to ruin meat by shooting up his front shoulders and hind quarterswhen I know the deer is dead anyways.

Speaking of ruining meat, I have butchered over a couple thousand deer. And every year, there is atleast...(ATLEAST) 40 hunters that come in with deer that are all shot up. Then they come back after thier deer is processed and ask why they only got 22 pounds of meat out of a 212 pound buck. Now we tell people that a deer like that isnt worth butchering. Then we smile as we hand them the antlers (IF THEY HAVE ANY)and say " ATLEAST YOU CAN EAT THESE BABIES". Hunting is expensive as it is.
The last thing im going to do is spend 68 dollars for a sportsman liscence, countless money on clothing, scents, calls, and ammo; Then go in the woods and"WASTE" thats right I said "waste" my tag on a deer that I cant eat or enjoy because I shot the SHEEEEEET outta him or her.

BUT DO WHAT YA GOTTA DO.....MY GUNS ARE SIGHTED IN BEFORE THE SEASON...AND THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:31 PM

if i'm trigger happy and its moving or standing i unload the gun and pump lead
Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 PM
DM

I agree 250...lots of people here hunting in a perfect world. I stalk them in pretty thick areas and to sum it up pretty clearly just remember... SH*T HAPPENS!! Most of my shots are pretty close and I have seen bullets do some weird stuff at close ranges therefore I dont take any chances. I learned to keep shooting the hard way. Now for those of you who are perfect and have never missed or made a bad hit or who always have perfectly clear shots then I guess shooting twice would be beneath any of you...my hat is off to you
AMEN!!!

DM
Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 PM

I cut my teeth hunting deer here in central Alabama, in front of dogs. I first tried a 12 ga and buckshot, but after seeing a few deer get away wounded, I switched to a 270. I didn't allways get my deer with the first shot, but I got my deer. If you are absolutely certain a twig didn't deflect your bullet, and you are certain your bullet preformed as expected, and you are certain you didn't flub up your shot ,then don't shoot again. But most of the time nobody is that certain!I've had some dead eye dicks come here to sight in their super magnums and flinch so bad they couldn't hit paper at 100 yds, and most of them were one shot wonders, just didn't eat much venision. I think if the chance is offered take a second shot or a third cause if it gets over the hill someone else will likely claim it anyhow.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll just put it this way. If it is a doe and it takes a few steps no, if it is a Boone an Crocket Buck and he is still standing or moving after my first shot, dang right he is gettin mowed down.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckstalker1187

And out of these 22 or sodeer, Inever needed to take more than one shot (EXCEPT ONCE) And this was becauseI had to. I don't know why, but I had to. I shot him in the vitals 3 times, (while he was standing there) (he didn't move an inch) Then I spined him and he started running on his front legs dragging his hind legs on the ground. At this pointI was out of my stand and on the ground. I put another slug in him from the left side. It entered in his lung and he dropped immediately. As my father and I approached the deer. he put his head up and looked at us. My father then took his shot gun, (because mine was all out of slugs) And he put the barrel behind his head at the base of his skull and blew his throat out. The deer took another 5 breaths before it died. When we dressed this deer, he had no lungs and no heart, it was all liquified.
I dont know why this deer did this, but it did. All shots where placed perfect and it was inside 78 yards. The last 2 shots where inside 25 yards.

This is exactly what we (I am)are talking about. Sometimes weird things happen.Don't know why but it does. buckstalker1187 why did you shoot the deer again? Thats all I'm saying..some times you need/have to. Like I've said before I've only had to take a second shot maybe 4 or 5 times. I have shot well over a hundered deer with my rifle (137 to be exact) and will hopefully get my 75th bow kill this year. I've never shot at a running deer, I've never taken a shot that I didn't think I could make. My longest shot ever was 235+/-yds, my 2nd longest was 160yds. I was taught 1 shot 1 kill butalso not to let something suffer forany reason. I have always hunted with a bolt action rifle or muzzle loader. I have to make the 1st one count. I don't sling lead just to do it. I make calculated shots every time.The only meat I have ever messed up was when Istarted shooting the shoulders on deer b/c I thought knocking them down was cool. Then Itook a5+hour bloodtrail on a nice buck that was hit in the shoulder and only 1 lunged due to hitting the bone and lost penatration.I went back to the tried and true method of just behind the shoulder. They may run 30yds but its quick and deadly every time. But again likebuckstalker1187 said above...some times you hit them just right and they still need a follow up. Deer are amazing animals with anamazing will to live.

I'm done with this topic. You guys are wearing me out. No more post from me. I do agree and respect your thought process Pauland I doappologize if I offended you or anyone who read this!I think a line was crossed and maybe it shouldn't have been weather it was byme or someone else.Were here to express opinions and give help not to bicker w/each other. We should all be on the same team b/c there are way more folks out there trying to take this away from us than we know. At least we have the right to have a shot at a deer in the first place. I'm 30 yrs old and bickering over how many times to shoot a deer is just dumb and middle schoolish! Lets just be glad we get to shoot at them and that our grand, great, and great great grandparentsalong with the many veteranslike Renfroweridgeafforded us the right to hunt them.

F250OUT!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure what some folks are saying here.

It sounds as if some are saying that they keep shooting because they don't know if they hit the animal (twig, pulled shot whatever). So we are then talking about a running animal here right?
So if you don't know that you made a good hit, some here are advocating shooting at a running animal because they are not confident in their first shot at a stationary one?

How is it that you are going to make a good clean ethical kill on a running deer if you can't make a good shot on a deer that you hopefully waited for a good shot on, at a distance at which you have practiced and are accurate?

I may be assuming that we are only shooting at distances and at angles that we havetaken at the range, andin the shooting position that we will be shooting at the deer, and that we can make it every time.
If not then don't take the shot IMO.

Sure we get buck fever. But what, the buck fever goes away while you are taking all the "let the led fly shots" go at the running deer?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been from the camp of keep shooting until it goes down. Even a lethal well placed bullet can allow a deer to run off to another hunter. Why take that chance. I wish I hunted in a perfect world where all my deer fell instantly. Mostly they do, but why not be ready for that 1 in a 100 that runs off despite a good hit.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:24 PM

deer, deer, and more..... deer.

I guess that is the de facto standard for most NA hunters by which things are measured and, accordingly, the gospels preached.

IMHO, there exists a bitdifferent reality when one moves up and out of the local deer patch and on to bigger and tougher game.

As an aside, some seem to think "keep shooting until it drops" means "mow the forest down and anything that gets inway." Not so, going to that extreme would be similarly irresponsible to firing the first shot and then standing watching the results of that shotwith an empty round in the chamber, ones eye away from the scope (sites), the rifle down at arms length, and simply admiring "the handiwork" of the first shot.

Quick Reply: How many of you shoot until it drops?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.