Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Just bought.... >

Just bought....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just bought....

Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just bought....

Hey folks, I would like to hear what you think about this. I just bought a Ruger M77 in a .243 witha straight 6x leupold scope sighted in at 100 yards for $200.00. Its a custom rifle with a heavy dark wood stock and a heavy crowned barrel.I bought it from a Soldier I work with that has no idea about rifles, nor do they want to know anything about rifles.

They asked me if i would take a look at it and buy it if I was interested or tell them what I thought it was worth.When they brought it to me they had 4 boxes of bullets and they didn't know which went with it. There were 2 boxes of .243, 1 box of .300 RSAUM and 1 box of .30-30. I looked at the barrel and saw that it was .243 and only took that ammunition.

My daughter and I were headed out of town to dove hunt so we were able to shoot the next day. As I was trying to load it I noticed that the rounds were loose when I loaded it into the magazine part of the stock.The rounds would simply fall out or wouldn'tfeed into the barrel when the bolt was bushed foward. We was able to load single round at a time and shoot it. No recoil at all. Hit the 500yard target the first time too.

Itook it to a part time gunsmith andhe said it wasmissing the inner magazine. He said that I should be able to go online to the ruger web site and order it cheap. Well I've been to the ruger web site and dont see anything about a inner magazine.

Anyway, I asked the gunsmith what he thought the rifle was worth and he said $700 with the part missing and without the scope. I asked several other people what they would buy it for and they all quoted prices over $500. I called the owner and asked if he would take $200 for it and they said yep! Did I get a good deal to you and do you know anything about this inner magazine?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just bought....

Sounds like a great deal. Ruger has parts manuals at its site. Check here:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/PartsBooklets/E6.pdf

or here:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/PartsBooklets/E5.pdf

depending on the age of the rifle.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn good deal. Ruger's are fine weapons.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Lucky man! Fine gun, and once you get the part necessary I'm sure it'll function perfectly as long as you own it. A .243 is a very versatile caliber, with loads ranging from varmint to deer. A buddy has a Ruger in 30-06...pretty accurate gun, though a little heavy trigger. I think you'll be pleased.