Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Questions on the .260 Rem >

Questions on the .260 Rem

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions on the .260 Rem

Old 09-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions on the .260 Rem

I have read alot about this cartridge over the past couple years and I am interested in getting one for my son. I like the7mm-08 also, but I am more partial to the "not so popular" cartridges. I personally shoot a .280 Rem and love it. From what I can tell,the .260 seems to be a great cartridge all around...and should be very capable of taking basically anything he'll ever hunt most likely. Plus it should be a very comfortable round to shoot I would think.

My questions are, what factory ammo is available, and what would you recommend?
Also what bullets or loads would you recommend for handloading? I don't personally handload, but I shoot handloads in all my rifles.

Does anyone have much experience with the .260? I was looking on Hornady, and Federal's websites and there's not much to offer, or maybe I just couldn't find it. I thought I remembered Hornady having a 129gr or something. I really like the performance of the Hornady 139's I shoot in my .280. Great bullet!!!

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Questions on the .260 Rem

The 260 is a fine round and in the right hands will take most NA big game. Hornady does make a 129 grain. It has a High SD and will work well for most game. The 120 and 140 are available in most brands of bullets and the 140 is a good all around bullet. Nosler makes Partitions in 100, 125 and 140 grain. Basically its about the same round as the 6.5x55. I have had two of them, one in the Savage rifle and one in the Ruger all weather. Like the 7mm-08 its a very good round with not much recoil. Its not fussy about powder and components. There is not much negative to say about the 260. Factory ammo may be somewhat limited but the bigger better stores should carry it.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 PM

I have no experience with the .260 Remington but I own and have hunted with a 6.5x55Swede. Great knockdown power with little recoil. They are close in performance so I can tell you that if it is deer that you hunt, it will be a great round.There are great bullets available for .264 cal. I've used a 140grain Hornady SST and it performed very well. My next loading will be with the 129grain Barns Tripple Shock. You can move to Sierra 85grain varmint bullets if you feel inclined to shoot varmints as well. I think North Americahas beensleeping while the rest of the world discovered this excellent caliber long ago.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 PM

The 260 really shines for the handloader.Great deer cartridge...I'd carry something a bitbigger for elk though
Old 09-04-2006, 09:07 PM

This is a handloaders gun.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thats the problem with the less popular calibers. If you have a love for these type of rifles, you will need to start reloading sooner or later, if you dont already.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:58 AM

For big game the 140gr Woodleigh is great and the 120gr Nosler will handle anything else, I find that the 120gr is where the 260rem shines.
Out of my little 20" model 7 barrel I load 100gr pills up to 3300fps and the 120gr's to 3000fps, I get the 140gr pills out at 2800fps but the funny thing about any 264cal is that they kill out of all proportion to their paper balistics. I dont often have to put a second shot into anything with my 260 as it has this amazing ability to drop things on the spot.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:15 AM

Definately a handloaders cartridge. Factory ammo selection is poor.I builta 260about 4 years ago for myself. I used a commercial FN Mauser and Hart barrel.Even thoughthe 260 isbased on the reliable 308 Win case, it's a bit finicky about certain powder/bullet/primer combinations.

Load component selection is poor. I was hoping that after the cartidge was adopted by Remington, cases and bullets would get more plentiful. As it is the only cases I can find with any regularity are Remington and Federal. Fed's are ok, but my Rem's tend to be brittle in the neck area and primer pockets get stretched sometimes. Even with moderate loads.

Handload manuals always list load velocity higher than what the average Joe can achieve. 260 data seems even more over rated. Every load I've worked up dissapointed me greatlywhen I chronographed it. Maybe if I was at 6000 feet bove sea level and shooting in a climate controlled tunnel I could get 2800 fps out of a 140 gr bullet like Remington and Federal haveclaimed. Sure as hell can't do it in the woods at 400 feet above sea level.

I used a 1/9" twist barrel. Most factory rifles, the last I checked, use the same. I wish I had gone with a 1/8.5" or 1/8". Longer, heavier bullets don't shoot really well from my rifle or the factory Remington's I've shot.By "really well" I mean 1/5MOA.My most accurate load is with a Sierra 85gr hp. My deer load is a 120 gr Pro Hunter (no one in my house is allowed to deer hunt with this rifle anymore!). I think the best bullet weight/length would be a 110 gr sp. Anything heavier/longer just doesn't stabilize as well as most shooters are used to.

I've spent more time on the range with this rifle than any other I've built. At first I just couldn't understand why it wasn't living up to all the hype. I re bedded the stock twice, took the barrel off and checked all tolerance with the receiver and chamber. Re crowned it, you name it. I've probably put over 4000 rounds through it, trying to magically make it as good as my other rifles and handguns.

I enjoy coyote hunting with this rifle and my wife has killed a few deer with it. Every deer she's shot with it ran quite a ways after being hit. All but one were lung, heart, and shouldershots.

Overall I prefer the 308 Win and 7mm-08 Rem. The only advantage the 260 has over the two old cartridges, for me, is with light weight bullets. I've threatened to re-barrel this rifle to a 7mm-08 many times. However,I really like shooting the 85 gr Sierra load at 3000 fps so I think I'll keep the gun around just for coyotes. Once the barrel is shot out, I'm done with 260's.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both my Ruger and Savage handled 140 grain bullets very well. I can't understand the shortcomming you describe. Anything that I have hit with the 260 didn't go anywhere. I get about 2700-2750 fps from my 22 inch barrels. Thats just about what I get with the 308 and 150 grain bullets. I have really never tried to push velocities past 2700 fps as they perform very well at that speed.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Ranger, sorry to hear your not that happy with yours.
I think I'm gonna go for it....probably the mountain rifle LSS.
I absolutely LOVE my mountain rifle in .280, so I'm thinking that will be a great gun for him as well. I'll take off the stock and get a youth stock I guess.
Speaking of youth stocks...anyone know of a good place to get one? I guess I could get a replacement factory composite stock, and cut it down if needed.

So what loads would you recommend I try? (forwhitetails) I'm thinking the 120 to 129 range would probably do well, as far as I can tell. I don't handload myself, but I have a bunch of buddies that hook me up. None of them have a .260, so they'll probably ask me if I got any good suggestions.
My problem this year is I probably won't have time by the time I pull this all together, so I'll probably have to use factory ammo. Any suggestions on that as well?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Questions on the .260 Rem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.