Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Foster slugs in Rifled barrel >

Foster slugs in Rifled barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Foster slugs in Rifled barrel

Old 08-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Foster slugs in Rifled barrel

I was wondering if you could shoot foster style or rifled slugs through a fully rifled barrel. I would basically just be sighting it in to get it on the paper with the foster slugs then using sabots.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Foster slugs in Rifled barrel

That's a no-no. The spin on the slug and bore are opposite in direction and that really cruds stuff up and makes groups into patterns.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM

You can do it. My H&R actually groups better with rifled slugs than it does with most modern sabots. It does make one heck of a mess though and the barrel fouls out after about 4 shots.

However what you want to do really won't work. If you are going to use sabots in the end, start with sabots. The point of impact could be different when you switch rounds. It is not uncommon for my gun to shift impact points by several inches when I try a different type of ammo.

If you don't want to spend the money try bore sighting the rifle. Put it in a rest and look at a target 50-100 yards away. Center the target in the barrel, then look thru the scope. If it is off quite a bit adjust it, or better yet shim the scope until they point in the same spot.

That should put your first shot on the paper at 25 or 50 yards.

I really wouldn't make any fine adjustments until you find a load you like. Once you find one that groups well at the distances you want to hunt zero your scope with that load. You don't need the bullets to go in the bull to see how they are grouping, just so long as you aim at the same spot every time.

Paul
Old 08-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a rifled barrel with iron sights and just wanted to make sure where I was on the paper at 50 yards before I started shooting $3 bullets at it. I think I'll just start closer 20 yards or so and move out.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I whole heartedly agree with Paul that you can shoot the fosters. You are on the right track thinking of saving some good money getting close with the fosters and then experimenting with different sabots to find what works best for you and your gun. Then it's just a matter or the fine tuning with whatever sabot you select.

You will save some money outright & upfront but it will cost you sometime and good solvent. You will need to scrub-a-dub the barrel and it's really important to do it at the range after say every 8-10 rounds or so.

I also shoot an H&R USH Deluxe (12 ga) and have spent a boatload of money trying all the different sabots. Where did I end up? I shoot Brenneke 2-3/4" Heavy Field Magnums & Brenneke 3" Gold Magnums with very good results.I'd offer quite a few deer toback me up on this but........dead deer don't talk.

My son shoots an H&R URH(20 ga) and it likes the Brenneke stuff too. But, I got a terriffic deal on ALOT of boxes of 3" Remington Copper Solids and it shoots those great.

Take a look at www.brennekeusa.com website. They tell you flat out that you can shoot nearly every one oftheir slugs out of rifled barrels. And as I don't know anyone over a 100 years old, I trustwhat they say. I think they claim to have invented the modern shotgun slug. They only started offering sabots in their product linebecause they had to grab some of the market.