Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel) >

Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel)

Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel)

Our shotgun season is quickly approaching - I have always used my Thompson Center Omega during shotgun seasons of the past, but would like to have the ability to really lay the smack down if given the chance. I've got two Remington 870's and was wondering what the consensus is on rifled slugs from the standard 28" barrel. I was going to buy a slug barrel and scope for one of them, but for the money, I'll get a H&R Ultra Deluxe with it's own scope. I'm investigating the possibility of going bargain basement for the time being, by using rifled slugs. Do they work? What choke would I use (assuming full)? I know I can just go buy a box or two and just try them - but while I'm holding the couch down tonight and playing on the laptop, I thought I would put out the feelers.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel)

Whether or not rifled slugs really works depends on the which rifled slug you get and gauge shotgun you have as much as it does the type of shot gun you have. Now that said, I've never had much luck with my 870 and rifled slugs but thats with the 28" barrel. First off, don't use a barrel with the full choke in it. You'll blow out the barrel. Secondly, winchester and afew other company's make good rifled slug. There's one smaller company that makes a very good rifled slug but I can't recall the brand name. So my advice is experiment with different slugs. Remember that with the 28" barrelthe only site that you have is the bead so try alot of different slugs with different ranges.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the 870 as a slug gun, even with a scope and slug barrel on it.The H&R Ultra Deluxe is a good bet or going with the thompson center omega.

those are my $0.02. take em for what their worth
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a shotgun to hunt deer (I'm a ML guy, mostly), but my dad hunted deer for years with his 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge with Remington Slugger rifled slugs using nothing but a vent-rib and bead. Put a whole lot of deer in our freezer and other people's freezers too (we can party hunt during shotgun season and fill other party members tags). He was an uncanny shot with that 20 gauge too, considering the lack of rifle sights, but until he switched over to muzzleloading it was his only gun bigger than a .22LR since 1968 when he bought it new at age 16 (he still has it too, and it's the slickest cycling pump gun I've ever shot. Remington made 870's better back then, I can tell you that.

Anyway, rifled slugs work just fine and have for decades. They aren't the fanciest things around, but that big fat 1oz+ slug will drop them dead if you hit them right.

Mike
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, don't use a barrel with the full choke in it. You'll blow out the barrel.
Well, I don't know about other shotguns, but the 870 mentioned above has a fixed full choke barrel (no choke tubes in those days), and it's had hundreds, maybe over 1000 slugs through it and it still patterns just fine. So it won't "blow out the barrel", at least not with Sluggers. The sluggers have the vanes on them and are soft lead so they will swage down in the choke no problem. I can't speak for other rifled slugs, but if shooting Rem Sluggers in a full choke blew up guns, my dad would have certainly blown his shotgun up years ago.

Mike

Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest putting regular iron sights on the gun for rifle season. Also, be sure to spend some time at the range.

My old smoothbore shot slugs accurately to 30 yards, then accuracy fell apart.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Hey bud I might have the answer for you. I have a rib mount scope base thats fit your 870. You can at a scope to your barrel whenever you want. Or take it off whenever you don't need it anymore. e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

you would have to use a FOSTER type slug "RIFLED SLUG" try a few brands to see which one works best, don't waste your time and money on sabot slugs in this barrel. If I was you, I would just stick with the OMEGA, it will put the smack down on a deer just as well as the shotgun, and you will reach out further. Also get yourself the H&RULTRA DELUXE, I have one in 20ga. using HORNADY SST slugs
Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 AM

You can buy a great cantilevered rifled slug barrel with scope in a package for around 200 bucks.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

For rifled slugs you would need a "improved cylinder" choke tube. Try the Remington $2.00 a box Sluggers. The only thing I'd be concerned about is your sights.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

My 870 package came with 28" vent rib with tubes and a 20" fully rifled barrel.Remington makes a rifled choke tube for the 870, I think only in 12 ga. You can use slugs and I don't know why sabots wouldn't work with the rifledchoke tube either. I always had luck with Brenneke Rottweils. According to the Remington website:

Which choke tube should be used with the Sabot Slugs?

Answer

The Sabot Slug was designed for the fully rifled barrel or fully rifled choke tube.

The Slugger Rifled Slug should be used in a smooth bore barrel with an Improved Cylinder Choke Tube.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rifled Slugs in an 870 (28" barrel)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.