HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   243 on elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/153512-243-elk.html)

chiefks 08-25-2006 03:22 PM

243 on elk

I was wondering if anyone in here has taken elk with a 243 before. If you have what was your expeience? Like what bullet did you use? How far did the elk run after the shot? What was your shot placement? How far away was the elk? I am thinking about going on my first elk hunt nextfall in colorado on a late season cow elk hunt. I deer hunt with a savage model 12 243 with a 26" barrel and accu trigger. It is the only high powered rifle I have. I know there are better rounds to elk hunt with, but I don't have anything else to use right now so I'm looking for information on the 243 on elk. Please don't post about other rounds, cause thats not what I am looking for.

PKnTX 08-25-2006 03:55 PM

RE: 243 on elk

Nanook85 08-25-2006 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PKnTX

No kidding, how many pages you think this one's gonna go?

FastShootingCarts 08-25-2006 04:07 PM

Buy a more powerful Rifle.

Chris W. 08-25-2006 04:10 PM

I'm sure it's probably been done, but it's far from being an optimum elk round.

stubblejumper 08-25-2006 04:20 PM

I do know one fellow that always uses a 243 for elk,but he gets very close and waits for a perfect broadside.He loads the nosler partition and usually the kills are clean.However,we did spend half a day tracking one cow when the bullet struck the shoulder and barely penetrated it.

mauser06 08-25-2006 04:27 PM

it might work....but as others have said i wouldnt risk it. id borrow a gun from a buddy or buy a new one....30cal or better id say...i rather be over gunned than under....

chiefks 08-25-2006 04:28 PM

Hey popcorn eaters, I'm not trying to make a long post or start something. People have elk hunted with a 243 before. I've even seen cow elk shot with a 243 on a tv show. I simply asked if anyone here has hunted elk with a 243 and what thier experiences were. I also requested that people don't don't post about other rounds being used because thats NOT what I am after here. That alone should make this a post that does not get many replies. Just doing some reseach. Thats all.

Crazy Horse RVN 08-25-2006 04:33 PM

I't wouldn't be my first choice, but I've killed a lot of deer with my .243 Rem and the vast majority dropped in their tracks with the first (Chest) shot. So, if you have to use a .243 I would recommend a quality 100 grain bullet and aim for the heart and lungs. There are many good quality factory rounds out there. Every manufacturer has a "Premium" line of hunting loads, Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, so take your choice, and they're as good if not better than "Ole Nimrod's" super duper hand loads.

Don't let people discourage you. There have been pleanty of Elk taken with the .243. "Bugle" magazine once had a chart showing the rifle calibers and the percentage of elk hunters who killed elk with those various calibers, and the .243 was represented in that chart. So it can, and has been done. Don't expect an elk to drop in his tracks with the first shot from your .243. Just practice and be ready for a quick follow up shot.
Best of luck and good hunting.

PKnTX 08-25-2006 05:19 PM

:D
Hey chief, don't get your buckskins in a wad, this is a
subject that almost always goes on and on, bringing
out the worst in some whether you mean for it to or not.
So, you'll get plenty "go ahead, it's fine" and an equal
amount of "oh no, please don't". Then, make up your
own mind.

Have fun researching
PK