Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 45 GAP... what is your prognosis? >

45 GAP... what is your prognosis?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45 GAP... what is your prognosis?

Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45 GAP... what is your prognosis?

Looks like a shorter 45 type pisto cartridge that I understand is meant to be fired in somewhat smaller frames. Any wish to speculate as to whether or not it will be a lasting cartridge?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 45 GAP... what is your prognosis?

I just can't see it surviving. Its a good idea but +P 45APC still outperforms it.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a great round for Glocks and Springfield XDs. No good reason whatsoever to get a 1911 type pistol chambered in that cartridge- more pressure, more battering of the parts, etc. Springfield has come out with a XD model in 45 ACP that is dimensionally the same as a xd-9 or xd-40, pretty much a nail in the 45GAP's coffin.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM

I think the 45 GAP’s only saving grace will be the ultra compact / carry gun market. If any of the big companies can design a 45 GAP super compact small enough to catch attention then the round has a chance, but just how much smaller can they make that super compact in 45? They would have to make a 45 GAP in something as small as a Kahr M9 and still hold 6+1 to get my attention.
Also history for the most part has demonstrated that many times when a new round is placed in direct competition with one of America’s favorites; it dies no matter how good it looks on paper.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me, its strength will be the Glock pistol itself. The grip in the Glock 45 ACP is hugh. I have very large hands and it just about to big for me. However the 45GAP is the same size as the 22 and 17. I totally agree that in the 1911's there is no reason to mess with it. The baby Glocks go to the other extreme and I can only get two finger firmly on the grip. They are usless to me. They fit my wife pretty well However.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM

Unless it starts winning over some major police agencies, I don't see the 45 GAP surviving.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you remember when the gap first come out it was like the next big thing it got everyones attention the marketing was pretty hardcore too they were really trying to sell it. But now you hardly hear anything about it and most gun buffs were like why the gap? a 45 acp is just as good if not better. the 45 acp has been around for over 100 years it already fills the need for its intended purpose and then some. The Gap will never replace the 45 acp and I dont see the gap making its mark among the US market perhaps in europe it will do better. I cant imagine the sales being very good for the Gap either if you know anything about sales if a certain product doesnt meet a certain sales quota then companies will generally drop it like a hot patatoe. Im sure aslong as springfield and glock keep making guns for it the gap stick around for awhile but I honestly dont see tomany other gun companies ever offering the caliber.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. This is a Glock caliber and I think it will remain so. However it makes a compact powerfull option for Glock fans. For smaller hands it will find a home.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

Looks like a shorter 45 type pisto cartridge that I understand is meant to be fired in somewhat smaller frames. Any wish to speculate as to whether or not it will be a lasting cartridge?
To this "innovation", I would apply COL Cooper's characterization of the double-action semi-auto pistol:

A brilliant solution to a non-existent problem!