Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior stainless steel barrel >

Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior stainless steel barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior stainless steel barrel

Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior stainless steel barrel

I just got a Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior with synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel with accutriggerfrom a friend.
It has a Bushnell 3-9 power scope but doesn't have a front or rear sight and that's the way he bought it new.
I would like to put see through rings on the scope and have a front and rear sight put on the rifle.
If I took it to a gunsmith,could he do that for me?Would you have it done to your rifle?
The woods I hunt are thick in area's.I've jumped deer before but either couldn't get a shot or missed because of scopes.Thanks for your opinion.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Savage 30.06 Wheather Warrior stainless steel barrel

If your hunting in area's that thick then I would go with a rifle with no scope. IMO, Barrel sights are just faster to get on target and you don't have time to spare. If you have barrel sights put on it, then I would probably just take the scope off if you have do not plan on having longrange shots at deer. Some people do use a low power scope for hunting in thick stuff. What ever works for you.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:52 PM

If it didn't come with a front or rear sight,should I have a gunsmith put them on?If I took the scope off there wouldn't be any sights on it at all.
I agree with you that in thick cover your better off without a scope but there are also area's that offer shots from 100 to 150 yards.Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

id me me a good low power scope on it...not a cheap cheesy shotgun scope....something bright clear and with a good sized lens. something like 1-6x or something in that range. set it on lowest power when walking. leave both eyes open when shooting. you should beable to get right on it and drop it. ive done it with my leupold 3-9x40 more then once. my scope is almost always on 3x just because hunt thick stuff like you. alot of my deer are bumped by other hunters or driven to me. i try to stop them but sometimes that doesnt work and if i have a shot i feel i can make i will take it. i dropped one at 30yds through a pretty thick stand of young trees. it was a maturing thicket. trees about 4-6 inches thick to give you an idea of the situation. alot of weak trees already died and fell over but its still not a mature hardwood forest. a few guys standing on the trail said they were going to do a drive blah blah. i caught a few words and seen their hand motions. i am up there wayyyyy more then they are and knew the deer were coming. 10 mins later here comes 4 does running full speed ahead. the lead doe bounded a log and i dropped her out of the air. my dad about died. he was right there watching and gutting his deer. he didnt think it was possible. no lead or anything i just swing with the deer. it works for me. maybe goto the range and try shooting with the scope on low power and leaving both eyes open. stand there and have someone roll a target or something. a basket ball would be perfect but thats a pretty expensive target lol.....i dont recomend running or moving shots to anyone. you gota know yourself and your rifle and capabilities. if im not confident i wont shoot
Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Yes,a gunsmith can fix you up. I've not heard a lot positive about the sight through rings. Puts the scope up high and can hinder its effectiveness as well. Maybe a few guys that have used them will chime in.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 AM

What I have seen of see through mounts isnt very good. They put the scope up to high to get a good cheek weld on the stock, and most of the time they arent the highest quality, making it easy for your scope to be knocked off. I would either go with a good variable scope, with a good low power, or look into sights and a good quality quick detach mount for the scope, orjust open sights. I know with a couple rifles I have peepsights on them, andI can be pretty accurate with them out to 150-200 yds
Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont know if I would put sights on this rifle. I've hunted a lot in both thick and open areas and I always used a scoped rifle (except maybe once or twice). If the rifle/scope combo fits you correctly you shouldn't have any problems. If you don't plan or have the opportunity to take 'long' shots, then IMO, I would go with a 1.5 - 4X or 2 - 7X scope. Even in thick cover, a scope will allow you to pick out a hole to shoot through that you may not see with the naked eye. Also, IMO, the see thru scope rings are just too high to acquire a quick sight picture.
I also believe that shooting at a running animal in thick cover is haphazard at best and you stand a good chance of wounding the animal. Open timber is a different story. If your jumping deer, try slowing down your pace and use good binos more to search the cover for standing or bedded animals.