Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR >

Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR

Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR

I'm a new hunter and would like a quality/accurate/dependable rifle to last as long as possible, with good care of course. I'm sure I will be buying more rifles in the future, but for now, just want a quality one. The reason I chose these two is because they are both Synthetic/Stainless and it seems like that would hold up better in the field. Secondly because I've heard good things about the new savages and of course the remington will always be good. I want the rifle in a 7mm mag. The savage comes with muzzle break, fluted barrel, removable magazine and the remington just comes with their R3 recoil pad, hogue inserts on the grip, and a coating which is supposed to be top notch.

Any opinions, good/bad or suggestions of other rifles in this price range are much appreciated. I would like to get the savage because it's about $200 cheaper and would be able to afford a much better scope, but if the remington is worth it, I'll find a way to get the best scope possible.

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-
Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR

Barry,
you can't go wrong with a Savage. Right out of the box, it should shoot better than anything out there. Not just in its price range either. I'd get a model with the Accu-trigger. Not the prettiest rifle on the rack, but it'll shoot the pants off the rest. I have some reservations about getting it with a muzzle break. Have you ever fired a rifle with a muzzle break? Really loud contraption and not really necessary on a 7mm mag unless you're really sensitive to recoil. Good luck
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't recommend getting the model with the muzzle break. I believe they have the Savage without the muzzlebreak that has the synthetic/stainless combination. I have no experience with the Remington rifles, but I do own a Savage. Darn good rifle for the money, and plenty accurate for the shooting most people do.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM

You will pay more for the rem. and the savage will be more accurate skip the muzzle brake the guys at the range will be happy.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jac I replied over in the deer hunting forum to your post but you can also consider the 700SPS SS which is less than the XCR retail...no fancy grips built in but does have the R3 pad and 26" barrel.

the savage will be more accurate
I don't agree seen accurate and inaccurate in almost every make/model new or old. About the most constant OofB accurate rifle I have experienced is the Tikkas and I don't even own one. Buy what you like based on fit, feel and features..first and foremost. For most part spliting hairs comparing apple to apple factory/stock rifles...you'll find guys saying rem, win, tikka, savage, ruger is the most accurate so it just depends on the rifle, tweaking and more then most often how the gun feels to that individual. For the record absolutely nothing wrong with Savage Rifles, not my intent for saying I disagree. I'm considering one myself in the future just b/c it gives me what I need and want in southpaw action.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington fan here...but a Savage fan also. Get whatever feels the best to ya and if at all possible ...stay way from the muzzle brake!! Your hearing is preciuous and make it a point to save what ya have left! 7mag has some recoil..but nothing near enough to warrant a brake. If recoil does bother ya get an r3 pad or a limbsaver pad. Same stuff just different names on package.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:10 AM

The brake is adjustable so it can be closed off or open. I'm a small guy, 5'9" 150 lbs. so I don't want to be abused. My experience with recoil is shooting 12ga. at skeet for 100-150 rounds a day. I've heard that the 7mm will recoil much harder than the 12.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jacobi:

Hopefully you won't shoot 100-150 round of 7 mm mag per day. This may not hurt your shoulder, but it sure would hurt my pocketbook!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep if you can shoot a 12 gauge that many times in a day the 7mag will be a cakewalk
Old 04-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like both brands but as of now I would go with the Savage and the accu-trigger. I would go with the 270 Short Mag if it were me. Just my preference.

Quick Reply: Savage Weather Warrior vs. Rem. XCR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.