Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Neglected & rejected? >

Neglected & rejected?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Neglected & rejected?

Old 06-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neglected & rejected?

Just curious... anyone shooting the .264 Win Mag these days for anything? I see Winchester only loads one bullet, the 140 grain.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neglected & rejected?

there is still alot of people thathave that round it was a round before its time. Iknow 3 people that sware by them, remmy was suppost to bring out a gun for the .264 but have not seen it yet I will be the first to buy one when they come out with it.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

It developed a reputation for burning out barrel. The better powders we have today would have helped it a lot. I quess it won't do anything that the 270 and 7mm Rem Mag won't do. A WSM would be the boost it needs. That would be a sweet shooter.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have used a Win. M 70 in .264 win mag. for many years. Taken white-tail, mule deer, moose, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, black bear and coyotes with it. And the heads off a few grouse too. I used to hand load a couple different bullet weights for it but now just use the 140 gr. for everything. Like said above it is no better or worse than a 7mm mag or a 270 win.

I don't use it as much in the last few years as I hunt more with a muzzleloader and my Sav. 99 in .300 sav.

Robin
Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

7mm Rem Mag was its downfall
Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the finest rounds ever.....just not as popular as it should be.
Certainly one of the finest mule deer, whitetail deer and pronghorn calibers ever made.....but life goes on.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

The 264 Win...it was a dead years ago...I see Remington has chambered in their M700 SenderoII in 264 Win this year.....man what in the world are they smoking??? It's a dead horse....but hey anything can happen, the 280 Rem is more popular now as it ever was. It doesnt help that there is only one factory load avaiable, though I would assume Remington will bring 1 or 2 loading out. While the 264 Win might be a good cartridge you have to handload it to get better results and the truth is there are alot of folks that dont. Time will tell.....