Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leveling crosshairs >

Leveling crosshairs

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leveling crosshairs

Old 06-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leveling crosshairs

I was wondering if anybody had any secrets to doing this... It usually takes me a while to get this right... And some times after I think I have it right.I seem to go back and re adjust it again...

I'm getting some new scipe rings and I know this is going to drive me crazy
Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leveling crosshairs

I know what you mean. What looks level inside may look askew outside. One of the cheapest ways is put up a large target with zeroing squares, and set the vertical axis by putting a lead sinker on the end of the string. Then you will be adjusted to gravity. There are fancier ways and equipment to do this, if you want to buy it. It would concern me if I did really long shots, eg, if I planned to hunt in Montana or Idaho.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the same trouble.

Aiming it at a plumb string is a good idea, but my problem is always how to make sure the body of the rifle is perfectly level.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me the issue is straight up & down so you don't cant on the long shots. I would try reading an axis on the plumb line, from the top center of the scope to the bottom center of the stock. If it is real important, braces and sleds are out there for not too much money.

Canting a rifle was an issue with the M16 at 500 meters because the iron sights were relatively high in relation to the bore. We did not do anything fancy, but we kept straight up and down as best as we could call it.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM

In th ebasement, I have a gun vice/bench rig set up for cleaning.
I put the rifle in the vice andhave a weighted string (plumb bob) attached to the ceiling as a straight line to get the bore and scope lined up vertically, eyeballing the centers of both. Then I just line up the verticle line of the recticle to the string and done.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Irecently got a "sight Lines Lens" made by StoneyPoint for just this thing. I believe I got it through either Brownell's or MidSouth, and it didn't cost very much. Very simple to use, and does the job just fine. As with most everyone else, you gotta be right about this for longer - range shooting. JMHO.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM

I've seen this problem a lot over the years.The problem comes in when some shoulder the weapon a little canted. Say you put the gun in a vise and align the crosshairs perfectly plumb. Now the owner shoulders the weapon and the crosshairs look canted. Now, the question becomes which is right. If you try to make the shooter shoulder the weapon where the crosshairs are plumb then the weapon feels odd and not shoot well. Conversely, if you align the crosshairs to where they appear plumb when the shooter shoulders the weapon. They may be canted to the centerline of the weapon.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now, the question becomes which is right.
To my thinking, the gun has to be perfectly vertical to match the reticule lines. That way the scope has the same reference to the bore at all distances, near and far.

If the gun won't shoulder properly, change your form, change your stock, or change your whole gun. It just has to fit the shooter properly, or you've lost before you started.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Segway Recticle Leveler. Go to www.grafs.com and search #SE9020. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

A bore sighter works just as well for making sure the cross hair is level and plumb while making it easy to sight in a new scope. Most bore sighters have a square box with smaller squares inside of it. There is a perfectly horizontal as well as verticalspace going between the smaller boxes. The only way that the verticle line of your scope's cross hair will line up with the verticle space of the bore sighter is if the scope is mounted correctly and the bore sighter is in the right spot. When I say the bore sighter is in the right spot I mean that while the arbor is in the barrel the sighter can still move counter/clockwise. Only when the sighter is in the right position and the scope is correctly mounted will the cross hair and verticle space of the bore sighter line up.

....I hope I didn't confuse you.

Quick Reply: Leveling crosshairs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.