Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only >

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Just joined up on the site tonight, and found this discussion intresting, since I have a Savage m12 Long range precision on order from the Savage Custom Shop, in .243 Cal.
I have shop two of these at the range[one a .223 the other a 22-250] and trust me these rifles are very accurate. I could shoot dime sized groups on both guns at 100 yds, consistently.
I have gone the homework on this gun, and here's the lowdown of it.
First the action is the same action they use on their target rifles[m12 F/TR-Benchrest-M12 F/Palama], and can be had as a single shot -repeater-or a dual port.
It's a fact that most any shooter can get off far more rounds in a given amount of time with a single shot, than one with a mag[unless of course the guy has twenty mags, ready and loaded up].
As to brands and people thinking mine shoots better than yours, your always gonna get that.
I have two Savages,[one a .17 Mako, and a Model 25 Classic .204[custom painted I might add], and a Remmington M700 .308 Cal.
As to the Remy, they usually can't touch a out of the box Savage, unless you have a Smith do a lot of work on it. Tust me I've been down that road, As I mainly shoot paper, and a few matches locally.
As to my satement about having a Savage on order. They can chamber up most any cal. you want, on most any gun you wish, hench, I ordered a M12 LRPV in .243 [even tho catalog does'nt show one].
Just thought I'd add my two cents in on this one. Tks Moon
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to go with Cooper.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

This is such an old thread, I probably already voted for Cooper but if I did'nt, I vote Cooper!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Old thread or not, you have to admit that Savage has come a long way in the past 15 years. They are not the same guns they used to be. I also say that they are the most accurate out of the box guns today. Just put a Model 12 BVSS .223 on layaway. Can't wait to shoot it. Next what scope to put on it. Will have to be a cheapie for now. Something under 250. Any suggestions.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of that list, the choice is simple as it can be-why not have extreme accuracy AND class? Yes, I'm talking about cooper-unless I have to pay for it.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

im with him ^^^^ cooper 57m with upgraded,,,no,,,exhibition grade wood,,,probably a 243 with a 8.5x25x50 leupold,,on second thought,,,,i'll take one of each from the JSR in 22 to the 57m in 6.5x284 (unless i have to pay up)
Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

im with him ^^^^ cooper 57m with upgraded,,,no,,,exhibition grade wood,,,probably a 243 with a 8.5x25x50 leupold,,on second thought,,,,i'll take one of each from the JSR in 22 to the 57m in 6.5x284 (unless i have to pay up)

M57's are made only in rimfires
M38,M21 and M22 are single shot actions
M38 and M21 are chambered in the .223 rem class and smaller cases
The 6.5x284 is only availible in the M22
The newer M52is aremovable box magazine fedrepeater chambered in the 30-06 case family

I will admit that Savage has come a long way but Cooper is in a different league all together.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Coopers are real nice, but pricey for what you get as far as accuracy.
I've got a "lowly" Savage m25 classic .204 that I can shoot half inch and under[quarter inch and bugholes] at 100 yds all day, if I do my job. Not all that much money[even tho I put a show quality paint job on her]. It's mainly a paper puncher, and ground squirrle getter.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

i own a remington sps varmit in 243. now i am a savage man but this remington will shoot a five round group at just under .25 inch with an 85 grain sierra hpbt gameking and 37 grains of imr 4064 and if you count the price of all the firearmes in this poll, then the remington and the savage are your two best bets. i am very fond of my remington however savage hands down has the best factory trigger out there.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to go with Savage also. Mines a little smaller than most of yours. Its the 93R17BTVS in .17HMR. The accurace is unbelievable for such a small round. We take it when we shoot blue rock and pick up the little pieces of bluerock once shot (usually the size of a dime or so) and use them for targets for this thing. I don't have any pics of it but heres a link to Savag's site with an identical gun to mine. Haven't done much varmint hunting and all I've hunted with it so far is 1 squirrel. http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

Quick Reply: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.