Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .307 Win & .308 Levers >

.307 Win & .308 Levers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.307 Win & .308 Levers

Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .307 Win & .308 Levers

This very issue has been discussed before and as it turns out the Marlin 336 apparantly is fully capable of firing the .308 Win round. It was chambered for the .375 Win round and that's a 52,000 CUP round so it'll hold the .308.

Now for the pointed bullet thing.....if Hornady's bullets work in the 30-30 then they might also work in the .308

However......even the 150 grain round nose bullets in the 308 is a pretty good lift for the Marlin 336 and it's something to think about.

There are folks that claim to have successfully rechambered their 35 Remington to .358 Winchester......and that's a hellova whack for a light lever gun.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

This very issue has been discussed before and as it turns out the Marlin 336 apparantly is fully capable of firing the .308 Win round. It was chambered for the .375 Win round and that's a 52,000 CUP round so it'll hold the .308.

Now for the pointed bullet thing.....if Hornady's bullets work in the 30-30 then they might also work in the .308
I, for one would like to see it.

Spud
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

, for one would like to see it.
Your never going to see it...if the 336 action is strong enough and I am not sold on that yet..you would have to re-engineer the marlin bolt/lever assembly to allow a stackmagazine. Otherwise you would have to use some sort of proprietary flat based bullet in order to use a 308 in a lever.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Your never going to see it...if the 336 action is strong enough and I am not sold on that yet..you would have to re-engineer the marlin bolt/lever assembly to allow a stackmagazine. Otherwise you would have to use some sort of proprietary flat based bullet in order to use a 308 in a lever.
You might find this thread interesting.http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums?m=535106484&a=tpc&f=9411043

I was also not sure of the strength of the Marlin 336 but just read this.....the case seems to be made very well

Old 05-29-2006, 08:04 AM

As an owner of a win. 94 in 30-30 I enjoy reading everything I can about them. The 30-30 to me is a very fun round to shoot and the same goes for the leverguns chambered for them. I've noticed since Hornady brought out it's Leverevolution ammo that there is much heated debate over the usefullness of it. I have not shot any of this ammo in my rifle yet, but plan to soon. Here is my opinion on the subject though. If the new Hornady ammo lives up to it's claims, I say great. Anytime you can improve on ballistics of a certain cartidge, making it flatter, faster etc... is a good thing. The 30-30 is never going to be a 300 mag. or a 308, or 270, even with premium ammo. But it can be a better 30-30 and that can only be good, IMO. I like hunting with my lever gun because it forces me to get closer and a more skillfull hunter. I also think I'm going to like the new ammo because it'll give me a little flatter shot when I might not be able to get in that extra 50 yards. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

you would have to re-engineer the marlin bolt/lever assembly to allow a stackmagazine. Otherwise you would have to use some sort of proprietary flat based bullet in order to use a 308 in a lever.
I was thinking that they would keep the tube mag and use the Leverevolution bullet, to avoid re-engineering the whole gun.

Spud
Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking that they would keep the tube mag and use the Leverevolution bullet, to avoid re-engineering the whole gun.
Then your limited to one bullet you can use in your rifle . A hornady lever revolution bullet. Like someone else said just buy a BLR if you want pointy bullets and be done with it. If the BLR is not your cup of tea that's fine as well. No matter how you do it the gun will not have the versatility or ammunition choice of a 308 or other modern cartridge fed out of a box magazine whether a BLR,Sako Finnwolf,Winchester 88. I think we have pounded this subject into the ground at this point.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Then your limited to one bullet you can use in your rifle . A hornady lever revolution bullet.
Major point made right there. Being limited to one particular bullet like that is really going to limit the potential of that rifle. If the rifle doesn't shoot that particular bullet well, then your justSOL. With the clip fed BLR, one is able to take advantage of the wide range of ammo and bullets available to get maximum accuracy from the rifle.

I was kind of hoping that this would alow Marlin to compete more directly with the BLR and bring down Browning's excessive price tag.
Is the price tag really excessive? I've owned a fewMarlins andcurrently a pair of BLR's, and thoughMarlin makes a good rifle they just don't compare to theBrownings in overall quality in fit, finish and smoothness of the action. Itruely believe you get what you pay for with aBrowning.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chris, we agree on this issue completely. AS far as the BLR overpriced I guess they never owned one to be able to tell the difference. At 600 dollars for a Marlin now your talking overpriced.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Don't knock the 307. I have 2 of them and they are great guns. One is scoped, what a pain in the #^%$%#*& that was.

As for pointed bullets I use them in both a Marlin 336 and my Winchester 307's. One in the spout and one in the spiquot. That way there is never more than one round in the tube when the rifle is fired and no danger of setting off a full tube. The day that I need more than two shots to bring down a deer I'll hang-um-up!

Quick Reply: .307 Win & .308 Levers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.