Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington trigger >

remington trigger

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington trigger

Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM

Default RE: remington trigger

My brother and I also had the triggersmith work on our triggers. Couldn't be happier with results. We both had our triggers back in one week.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those that are not aware...

Dear customer,

Some of you will have received notice of this, others may receive it and it may not apply. I am simply replying to all those in Jim’s in box.

Mr. Pigg was injured seriously in a motorcycle accident, and remains in the hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is expected that he will be released early next week. Jim suffered some internal injuries and some broken bones, and has received skin grafts on his left side. He has assured me that he is ready and able to work on the serious backlog of triggers.

If you have received this in error I apologize. I really do not know the best thing other then to notify everyone at Jim’s request. He requested everyone be patient and that they are assured that everything will be OK.

Sincerely,
Brad J. Herbert
Friend of the family

Jim C. Pigg
Box 5169
Etna WY 83118
www.triggersmith.com
[/align]
Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should have no problems getting a clean crisp trigger if it is in good shape still. I have gotten my model 700 .223 and newer 700 BDL down to about 3 pounds which is the way I like it as long as their is minimal travel and a crisp release.
I have had more 700's then I care to talk about and have done the triggers on about 10 of them. Out of the ten I can say 2 ended up as well as a trigger done by the guy Chartboy recommended or my gunsmith. The rest after I did them went to my Gunsmith or Triggersmith and were real triggers when they came back.Triggers are not something you want to fool with if you have the slightest doubt and a Remington trigger is borderline as it is. Some of these sites recommend playing with the sear engagement. True the weight,overtravel and engagement are screw adjustable but some triggers need a different spring and they all with very few exceptions need some polishing.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oeh is right as usual. All of mine with one exception needed a spring change with the adjustment.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

WoooHooo...

Finally got the good news from Jim...

Hi. Out of the hospital Saturday and in the shop today. Hope to be caught up by the end of the week, yours will ship before next Sat. 1000 apologies for the delay.
Jim

Jim C. Pigg
Box 5169
Etna WY 83118
[/align]
Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

and a Remington trigger is borderline as it is.
They are not. They are very simple to adjust and aren't any different in function than any other adjustable trigger. The only thing 'borderline' about a bad trigger adjustment is the borderline retard who screwed it up.

I'll admit though, the internals on newer remington triggers aren't as nicely made or as polished as on older rifles. I broke an old corroded screw off while adjusting a trigger on an old 700, so I bought another 700 trigger set. I couldn't get the new trigger to break as crisp as the old one, so I ended up removing the internals of the old trigger and placing them in the new trigger housing. Having the engagement surfaces polished up as part of a trigger job is certainly worth the price.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are not. They are very simple to adjust and aren't any different in function than any other adjustable trigger. The only thing 'borderline' about a bad trigger adjustment is the borderline retard who screwed
The MikeWalker design is flawed. The trigger has to be serviced(cleaned and oiled and checked for function)on a regular basis for it to be safe. Much more then any other design. It's a closed box design which doesn't help things. If you don't think it was flawed why was there a recall on it to change the bolt from locking on safety? Just look at the lawsuits involved and you tell me. There are however rumours that Remington is about to introduce a new design.

I couldn't get the new trigger to break as crisp as the old one, so I ended up removing the internals of the old trigger and placing them in the new trigger housing. Having the engagement surfaces polished up as part of a trigger job is certainly worth the price

Sounds like a jobthe first time trigger adjuster can doEh?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't think it was flawed why was there a recall on it to change the bolt from locking on safety?
Its not the safety that is flawed, its that a small minority of people don't know how to keep the booger hook off the bang switch and point the rifle in a safe direction all of the time. The recall was to keep the lowest common denominators from causing a major lawsuit.

I'll also admit that the boxed in trigger set is a good collector of dust and debris, but then again just about every replacement trigger from Bold, Jewel, or Timney are similarly designed.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 AM

I agree. Trigger work is something thatshould be done by a professional. There are lots of things that can go wrong that the ametuer won't be able to see coming. In the aftermarket field, the Jewell is a real "jewell".