Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

Old 06-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Spike

Default Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

Ishoot a Weatherby 7MM Mag. with a 3x9 Leupold variable scope. The stock is wood, and the bullets are handloaded 139 grainNosler partitions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to do much better than a 3 inch group at 100 yards(ie. draw a circle around 3 and the diameter is going to be at least 3 inches). On the other hand, I can shoot much tighter groups with my dad's .243, .223 and my .22.

Does this sound like a problem with the rifle or the shooter? If a rifle problem, what do you think it is and how would you remedy?

Thanks for your thoughts!

H
Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

Well, if its a new gun for you, I would say mostly its the shooter. I went thru this first time I got a magnum. I came home with a bloody knuckle and trigger finger cause I was hold the rifle very gingerly. It took over 500 rounds to get it right.

Nobody can really know unless its shot from a known shootist or a vise.

Partitions ain't known to be target bullets. If I get 1.2MOA, I am very happy. I gotone gun that like em however.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you had someone else shoot it and see if it will group better for them? With the increased kick you may be flinching and not realizing it.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Spike

BC - do gunsmiths typically have a vise or offer a similar service?

JeffS - unfortunately, I'm about as good as anyone I shoot with which doesn't say a lot for our shooting skills. Nevertheless, I might see if any of them can do any better.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM
bigcountry

Some offer. Mine does. If I pay him to check a gun out, he will shoot it if I ask him too and to get it right.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can pay for a gunsmith, it may pay to get something like a Lead Sled to put your rifle in. It is a fairly good rest and will absorb some recoil. I don't bench as many heavy loads as I used to, (old guy here,) so I would go that way if I had a Weatherby. These days, if I shoot a heavy load in my 45 70, I shoot from a heavy tripod in the stand position to zero. After a couple surgeries, don't want another.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a rifle problem, what do you think it is and how would you remedy?
You need to fix the problem....but find the problem first.....If it's you...that's one thing...if the rifle ....that's another.

Since you shoot better with the .243 lets assume you're not the problem.....

Check the rifle's bedding....that's step one.....then retry the Nosler bullets.....

They really should shoot better than 3"!!!.....2" at the worst!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

the bullets are handloaded 139 grainNosler partitions.
Possibly 140gr but not 139gr partitions.If you have only tried one bullet and one powder,you really have not tested the guns potential.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

Maybe the bbl is not broke in. Also, maybe you are not allowing the bbl to cool down between shots. If it is a sporter bbl it needs to cool down or shots will go all over like a shotgun spread.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try different bullets and powders as stubble suggested and also let the barrel cool as hardcore mentioned if you’re shooting to fast between shots. Good luck...

Quick Reply: Question on Sighting In My Rifle - Need Opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.