Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotguns and Silver Dimes....? >

Shotguns and Silver Dimes....?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotguns and Silver Dimes....?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotguns and Silver Dimes....?

Ive herd in several old western type movies of the sherriff loading up his shotgun shells with silver dimes. Im curious has anyone ever tried it and hows it work? Ive herd the miitary has a shell loaded with little metal disc which is the same basic idea but im just curious as to if it would really work?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotguns and Silver Dimes....?

Id imagine it would work with silver dimes, few years back a buddy of mine loaded up a 12 ga shell with todays steel dimes not the smartest thing but then he also wasnt the brightest crayon in the box either. as for results it would deffinately have to be a close range load the dozen or so dimes he had in the shell only 3 hit the 2 foot by 2 foot piece of plywood at 15 yards.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

Sounds dangerous or hard on the gun or both
Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly, I can think of no reason to fill a 12 Ga shell with dimes as lead BBs are cheap and work expremely well......

Historically at times of war folks took to doing wierd things to their ammunition because of severe shortages of commercial ammunition. I know a guy that claimed he cut the outside of the shotshell around almost totally where the bb level was so that when the shell was fired the entire foreward section of the shell went out the muzzle in one piece instead of ejecting the BBs only.....this was his way of simulating a slug when he couldn't get slugs.....He says it killed deer.....who knows.....but we can get almost anything we want today so why tempt fate with these type of experiments that might cause injury or damage the gun?????
Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 PM

doesn't sound real bright to me. For one they would not pattern worth a darn. As soon as they left the barrel I would think they would start flipping and catching air cause them to fly all over the place. Not mention if one got stuck in your barrel is sound like a good way to blow your head off.

If you did it I would use a very open bore.

Paul
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RustyOlRanger4x4

Ive herd in several old western type movies of the sherriff loading up his shotgun shells with silver dimes. Im curious has anyone ever tried it and hows it work? Ive herd the miitary has a shell loaded with little metal disc which is the same basic idea but im just curious as to if it would really work?
Think about it...in the old days...when new shells cost pennies...why would anyone shoot rounds that cost dollars...?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM

I saw it done on a Western show on the History channel. They shot the dimes out of a double barrel 12 gauge at a pig side hanging at something around 10 feet away. It would leave some bad bruises I bet, but there was no penttration whatsoever, even when the dimes hit edge first. They also said it wouldn't be unsafe to do, but I wouldn't try it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine any good reason to do that with buckshot being so readily availble and much more effective.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

They tried that on Myth Busters. They used a 10 gauge because the dimes fit in there really well. Though it will shoot you don't get any penetration like was already stated.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Ive herd in several old western type movies of the sherriff loading up his shotgun shells with silver dimes

Yes sir, and when younger watching the old Roy Rodgers westerns....now dont quote me on this....Roy was able to get 7,8,9,10 shots or more out of his ol Colt SAA.

Sadly enough even today TV and Hollywood dont always portray shooting/firearms related stuff accurately.....and there are some that see on the big screen and think it must be true.[:@]

As Vapodog has stated...I too know of a few guys that "ring" their shells(cutting the case above the brass on a shotshell with a knife) for fun. While this will work in a pinch if a slug type projectile is needed, they do not do your tightly choked gun any good as they do not compress as well as a wad with shot does. I for one would'nt do it.

Quick Reply: Shotguns and Silver Dimes....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.