Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying handguns out of state >

Buying handguns out of state

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying handguns out of state

Old 05-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Buying handguns out of state

I'm a resident of Missouri, but will be spending the summer in Illinois. I was wondering what the laws are on purchasing a handgun out of state. Also, what is Illinois' laws on handgun purchases? I understand they're more liberal than Missouri, which could make it difficult. Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying handguns out of state

unless you have a FFL you will not buy a handgun out of state that is federal law, the state has notthing to so with it. If you do get lucky or I should say unluckyand find soneone to sell you one and you are not a red. of that state when you get home and someone find out the ATF will charge you with interstate tranpertation of a firearm that will get you 5 to 10 years.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would have to be shipped from an Illinois dealer to your home state dealer. You would pay shipping and paperwork fees. Anyway, that is the way you can do it if you find something you really like. I looked into it when my daughter who lived in Missouri wanted a pistol. She saw one she liked in Iowa but she later had her Missouri dealer order that model. Cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. I've already waited 21 years, what's a couple more months, I guess.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Missouri is not that bad. There is a modestly priced permit required to purchase the pistol that is good for 30 days. It has a tear off portion where you keep record of the serial number for report purposes in case it is stolen. I took daughter to Denny's in Kansas City. Walk into the place, it looks like an armory they have so much stuff! Prices are a little higher than Cabela's but not bad for a stand alone gunshop.