Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are the Weatherby's worth the money? >

Are the Weatherby's worth the money?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are the Weatherby's worth the money?

Old 10-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are the Weatherby's worth the money?

I was out gun shopping looking for my perfect rifle...well, more window shopping and seeing who's got the best prices around town, since the purchase is a little ways off (saving money). Anyway, I was at my local Fin & Feather gazing longingly at the marvelous rifles on display, when the gunsmith/salesman walks up and asks me what I'm looking for. I describe what I'm looking for, but during my description I must have left out the part about not wanting to remortgage the house to buy a gun, so that a$$H0:e (he's a really nice guy, actually) hands me a Weatherby Mk V Varmintmaster.

For background, in my gun hunting endeavor I've handled Ruger, Savage, Winchester, Remington and even a Sako, but I hadn't seen or even considered a Weatherby.

Anyway, as soon as the Weatherby was in my hands I fell in love. It's got to be the finest firearn I've ever handled. It just FIT. Then I looked at the price tag...$1,500 bucks! And no scope even! So after picking my jaw up off the floor, I asked why this rifle was so much more than the other makes, and being a salesman of course he began to expound on the tremendous virtues of the Weatherby rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard of Weatherby and know that they are nice but pricey rifles, but being a bit sceptical by nature I wasn't about to trust the word of a guy who makes a living by selling expensive rifles. So I thought I'd ask you guys for a more objective opinion.

So are the Weatherby's all they're cracked up to be? Or would my money be better spent on a less expensive rifle, even if it doesn't quite fit like the Mk V does?

Thanks,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-23-2002, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Are the Weatherby's worth the money?

What do you want and need? I drive a 95 Nissan pickup truck. Strictly because it gets me from point a to point b. Let the outfitters the other day and saw a SWEET Ford duallie, king cab 4 door. I whistled and said to the owner, "Now that's a real truck!" He replied, "yeah and I got a real truck payment to go with it." Since I don't have the payment I like the Nissan. It suits the purpose. Weatherby's are like that. Its a question of what you want and/or need.

Sooner

"Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!"
Old 10-23-2002, 09:46 PM

$80 for a box of ammo they better put 5 shots in 1 hole at 1000 yds. No way I'd pay that much. If I has $1500 to spend on a gun, I wouldn't but one expensive one I'd buy 3 cheaper ones. Just the way I am.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:50 PM

if you got a rifle that dose the job i'd say way buy anotherone, on the other hand if you dont have one you could find a prity good packages on rifles with scopes for less than $400 before the firearm hunting season.
good luck shoping
Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 and they are worth every penny. My next rifle will be a 220 Swift in a Weatherby Mark V Super Varmit Master single shot, or a 378 Mark V Weatherby Mag. Good luck

Edited by - handloader1 on 10/23/2002 23:00:45
Old 10-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think your asking the wrong person(s)!!! Is 1500 to much to spend on a Weatherby Driftrider?

It boils do to you my friend. I drive a 2000 Chev Z71, Etd Cab, why cause I want to. Like the other post said I also have to make the payments on that truck, but again I want too! Another thing to remeber when owning the expensive gun is the cost of running that gun. Much like my truck insurance, much more than my buddys 89 ford and guess what they both get us to wear we want to be...it is just one has more style and aloure. And then you have Weatherby!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention that I'd get it chambered for .308 Winchester. I have no need for all the fancy Wby Mag calibers. I quess my idea is that since I don't buy a LOT of gun (I have several, but the cheap Russian/Chinese military surplus guns I don't count), I might as well save and buy the nicest rifle I can.

I own only two pistols, a cap & ball revolver (cause I get a kick out of black powder), and an H&K USP 45 Stainless. While the HK was $100 more than the Glocks I was considering, it also fit my hands the bast and had the best feel. It'll probably be a long time before I buy another pistol, so I got the nicer gun and paid a little more for it because it was worth it.

I'm just wondering if Weatherby, like H&K, are all their cracked up to be.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy a cheaper rifle(Ruger,Winchester,Remington etc)With the money saved buying the cheaper rifle ,I would buy the best scope I could afford for it.To each their own. I personally think Weatherby's are over rated and are way over priced.For that money, I'd go with a Sako or one of the top of the line Brownings......Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it feels that good in your hands you may not be happy with anything else. Get what you want....you must pay for it and keep it up.

IMO, for 1500 bucks you could get a heck of a rifle and a good quality scope to boot.

Quick Reply: Are the Weatherby's worth the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.