Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Traded off the Remington >

Traded off the Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Traded off the Remington

Old 05-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Traded off the Remington

Last summer I bought a 700 BDL in 223 Remington that I had hopes for, and Leupy 3x9 VXII. We had problems. It would barely chamber a round so they did some work on the extractor. It would still hang up 15% of the time, but if I backed the bolt out a bit and re-rammed it, it would at least chamber. I have tried different weights but the best I could do was 1 &1/4 inches at 100 with a 52 grainer. Soooo, had to decide whether to smith it or trade it. Kept the scope and I went for Sako Varminter with a heavy barrel. ($ouch) I just got back from some barrel break in, and I was so pleasantly surprised that it chambered and ejected so flawlessly. Anyway, this new one has a 1 in 8 twist so I hope to put some Federal Premium 69 grain matchkings downrange tommorrow. You know, 1 & 1/4 inch would do for yotes, but I like to pop cottontail heads at 200 yards. Must be my bad side.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

Default RE: Traded off the Remington

Hey I'm from Boone co. Try a savage if you want accuracy in a varmint rifle.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gave both Savage and CZ very careful consideration. I may very well go to those on a different caliber.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

We have two of these. One is the low profile and the other is a 12BVSS. http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm Here is how our Savages shoot. The stainless fluted 26'' heavy bbl, laminated stock, and accutrigger make these Savages an awesome shooter. This group here is with a BSA Platinum 8-32 scope. Not even a Leupold group. I have six savages with 2 more on order. All of my savages shoot like this.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

Last summer I bought a 700 BDL in 223 Remington that I had hopes for, and Leupy 3x9 VXII. We had problems. It would barely chamber a round so they did some work on the extractor. It would still hang up 15% of the time, but if I backed the bolt out a bit and re-rammed it, it would at least chamber. I have tried different weights but the best I could do was 1 &1/4 inches at 100 with a 52 grainer. Soooo, had to decide whether to smith it or trade it. Kept the scope and I went for Sako Varminter with a heavy barrel. ($ouch) I just got back from some barrel break in, and I was so pleasantly surprised that it chambered and ejected so flawlessly. Anyway, this new one has a 1 in 8 twist so I hope to put some Federal Premium 69 grain matchkings downrange tommorrow. You know, 1 & 1/4 inch would do for yotes, but I like to pop cottontail heads at 200 yards. Must be my bad side.
Same here. I bought my brother a 204 700 ADL and chambering sucked. But it made up for it with .5MOA OOB. Never seen that from a 700. But just my luck gun I am giving to someone else shoots that good.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hehe, sometimes it is the luck of the draw. Dad had a Savage and Weaver scope for, lets see, about 55 years. I was really tempted to go that way. Probably would have been money ahead.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a new 700m SPS in 223. I have not shot it for accuarcy yet but I will be shocked if it won't do 1/2 inch or better with the right load. Time will tell though. All My 700's will better one inch with their favorite load and many have done the 1/2-3/4 inch.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned 7 Remingtons so that has alot to do with why I tried the 223 in BDL. I would not hesitate to buy an old Remington if in good condition. But I would hesitate now with the quality problems surfacing. I wish everyone the best with any purchase. Bring home the bacon!

I am looking forward to trying the heavier bullets with this 1:8 twist. The one change that I liked with the M16 was the heavier payload. James I wonder if there is any game left alive in a 50 mile radius from your domicile?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have a savage 10FP in 223 and it shoots great now but it didn't out of the box,had to bed it.I got one of the sps in 22/250 when they first came out and it shoots great out of the box.A buddy got one of the Tikka varmitors in 308 and he let me shoot it a few weeks ago,I shot four 3-shot groups in a row that were one holers at 100 yds now that was awesome.So you can get shooters out of any brand if you get lucky.