Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats your opinion of the Pre-64 Actions >

Whats your opinion of the Pre-64 Actions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats your opinion of the Pre-64 Actions

Old 10-25-2002, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Whats your opinion of the Pre-64 Actions

I haven't saw any proof that one action is more accuate than another, but the Pre 64 was a very nice action. The controlled round feeding, three position safety, and the smoothness were fantastic.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:27 PM
Host of Hosts

I think alot of the hype over pre 64 model 70's is collector related. Just my .02 I don't see any advantage in crf to pf. They both work!

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 10-25-2002, 06:37 PM

Oldelkhunter said it best, the only real bad point to the pre-64 winchester action is the way it handles gas escape. The gas has an easy exit right down the left raceway that goes directly into the left eye of the shooter, not good. The newer pre-64 style classic actions have a block in place that is designed to eliminate this. If I were building a custom rifle I would pick the new classic action over the original pre-64.

In my opinion there's no reason not to have CRF on a hunting rifle. It's undeniably a more reliable feeding system and gives nothing up to the push feeds in any arena. The often quoted assumption that a remington 700 action results in better accuracy is hogwash in my opinion. The only way you'd ever see any difference is with a heavy barreled benchrest rig, which is something you'd never hunt with. Winchester CRF actions are capable of amazing accuracy, I had a 7mm stw built on a stainless M70 classic action with a #4 hart barrel that always grouped under 1/2" and averaged more like .3". All that and it was on a reliable CRF action. I'll take that.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2002, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy there are a lot of things people overlook when choosing a rifle. Safety should be number one...personally I don't like the fact that a Remington has a multi-purpose trigger one being the safety .it is flat plain dangerous and they have a lawsuit or have settled a lawsuit to that effect. I also believe that a bolt should remain locked with the safety on and anything else is hazardous and may cost you game or in some instances your life. The 2 best safeties IMHO out there are the Ruger and Winchester 3 position because they lock the bolt. As far as accuracy goes screw on a match grade barrel to anyone of the major actions and then put them in a machine rest using the same loads and tell me what kind of difference you'll have. Bottom line : Properly made rifles with good build quality will always shoot well and certainly better than most hunters can do them justice
Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 AM
bigcountry

Oldelkhunter, why do you think that the bolt should remained locked with the safety on. I would rather unload my gun with the safety on myself. Out of all my years of hunting, I haven't seen where this is a issue. Maybe you can better explain.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigCountry : because after many years of hunting with Remingtons and other makes usually in brushy terrain I am tired of having to check the bolt to see that it hasn't opened, Instead of concentrating on the task at hand .This has also occured while the rifle was in a scabard with the bolt handle and the rear of the stock exposed(albeit poor scabard design). You can unload the gun with the safety on with a Winchester and the Ruger as you well know by putting the safety in the middle position. Based on what others have said on this previously I am not alone feeling this way about it.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:59 PM
bigcountry

Oh no Oldelkhunter, I am not questioning on whether your right or not, I was just wondering what you meant. I must say while in newfoundland a few weeks ago, my bolt opened and I didn't know it. It didn't create a problem, but I guess could have getting junk down in the action or even my bullet coming out. I have very little experience in Winchester actions. But the safety thing never really bothered me on my remingtons. I mean, I always point the gun in a safe direction anyway. But locking the bolt is interesting.

Old 10-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigcountry...if you want to modify your Remington to a 3 position safety like the one that comes on NULA(New Ultra light Arms) I believe they sell it or and I know that Timney sells it in conjunction with one of their triggers and Brownells used to/or still does sell it.