Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Revolver brand ?? >

Revolver brand ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver brand ??

Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Revolver brand ??

I have been looking at in both 357and 44 mag.revolvers and was wondering what yall thought was the best brand to get. I have looked at Smith and Wesson, Rugar, andTaurus so far. I am Trying to keep the price somewhere around $500 so if i get a used one thats cool, but was wondering what you thought about the different brands, pros and cons.And which caliber one should choose for deer or a back up gun?

Thanks a bunch,
Pines
Old 03-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Revolver brand ??

I would put them in the order you mentioned.
1) S&W
2) Ruger
3) I am not a fan of them at all
Old 03-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

I have been looking at in both 357and 44 mag.revolvers and was wondering what yall thought was the best brand to get. I have looked at Smith and Wesson, Rugar, andTaurus so far. I am Trying to keep the price somewhere around $500 so if i get a used one thats cool, but was wondering what you thought about the different brands, pros and cons.And which caliber one should choose for deer or a back up gun?

Thanks a bunch, Pines
I've owned Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Taurus revolvers. Don't let anyone tell you that the TOP OF THE LINE Taurus's aren't as good as the others, because they are! The Taurus Raging Bull is an excellent weapon!!

For deer hunting and backup, a .44 Mag. is excellent, as is a hot-loaded .45 COLT. Better yet is the .454 Casull. It'd be hard to beat a .460 or .500 S&W, but they're much more expensive than your quoted price limit, and I doubt if there are any USED ones yet.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:52 PM
DM

And which caliber one should choose for deer or a back up gun?
"If" you aren't going to practise, practise, practise, and practise some more, then NONE of the above!

Get a shotgun for backup for now, and a 22lr handgun to learn on!

Drilling Man
Old 03-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Spike

I'm not familar with using any revolvers... but the Academy website lists a Rossi R97 (6 inch barreled .357 Magnum) for $297.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

RUGER either GP-100 357 or Super Redhawk 44 I have both and they are excellent guns I have always been told the Ruger revolvers are stronger then S&W . i hope this helps chad
Old 03-27-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to look at a S&W, it would have to be an older "pre-lock" model which is all that I own. I also own a couple of Rugers which are quite nice in my opinion. I have only handled a few Tauruses, but they sure felt like quality guns. I would not be afraid to bet my life on any of those three.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a ScopedRuger SRH .44 w/7-1/2" barrel for deer and hogs and a RugerGP 101 .357 for self defence w/ 3-1/16"" barrel.

Like eldeguello mentioned, don't underestimate the Taurus.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote goes to Ruger. I had Smiths and Rugersbefore and feel the Ruger is made a little stronger. The Smith is good,I just feel the Ruger will hold up better especiallyif you use HOT handloads. I've had .44 Mag. and .357's. I enjoy shooting the .357 a little more. I liked shooting the cheaper .38 Specials through the .357. I get more Bang for the Buck that way. I have to admit, the .44Mag. would be better for hunting deer size game though.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you add the word Magnum, I would only consider Ruger and Taurus.

Quick Reply: Revolver brand ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.