Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .300 WM Or .300WSM >

.300 WM Or .300WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 WM Or .300WSM

Old 03-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Default .300 WM Or .300WSM

In your opinion I am at looking at buying should I go with the proven .300 WM or try the new short action Mag. I am looking to buy a elk gun.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Default RE: .300 WM Or .300WSM

when you say .300 WM do you mean weatherby mag or winchester mag?

If you mean winchester mag, then I'd go with the trustly 300 win mag. MOre readily available ammo, basically equal ballistics and lots more rifle choices.

If you mean WEatherby mag, then you pick.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

There isn't really much difference performance wise and both appear to be here to stay.If you don't reload the 300winmag does offer more choices in factory loads.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate words like "proven" or "trusted" when talking about rifle cartridges. It means absolutely nothing. The only thing proven or trusted is that if you fire a 180 grain bullet at 3000 fps into the boiler room it will kill what it hits regardless of the shape of the case. Established is a word that works but the 300WSM is firmly established and going no where.

The old argument about the 300 Win mag having more available factory loads is no longer a concern as the 300wsm now has a very substantial factory list of loadings. The only major manufacturer that doesn't load for it is Hornady and for the life of me I don't understand why.

The argument about the Win mag being able to use the bullets over 180 grains better isn't of any concern either due to the construction of bullets available today. What one can do with a 200 grain soft nosed bullet another can do with a 165 or 180 grain bullet of better construction. If I need anything heavier than a 180 grain bullet out of a 300 magnum then I am stepping up in bullet diameter as well.

Rifle choices? Every single major manufacturer now chambers the 300wsm so rifle choices abound for both cartridges. And I don't know of any custom or semi-custom rifle maker that won't chamber for the wsm.

So it basically boils down to what you want.

Long action or short action?
Belted case or non belted case?
How heavy of a rifle do you want?

These are your only three real concerns with these two cartridges.

Personally, I will take a short action over a long and definetly take a non belted case over a belted one every time. If weight is of a concern hunting elk then the wsm generally be available in lighter weight rifles. It's usually only ounces but every ounce counts when huffing it up a mountain at 10,000 feet.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:55 AM

BB, would it be safe to assume you are a 300WSM owner?

The300WSM and 300WinMagare close to being an even heat, so put 'em in a bag, shake them up, and pull one out, or just go with your fancy.
Honestly though, if I was stepping up from a 30-06 or .308 and still staying with the 30 cal.family I'd step up enough to really make a significant difference in performance for my trouble. I personallywould go straight to a 300 Remington Ultra Mag in a heart beat.

** Long Fat Cartridges and a Massive Action (heart warming)
** No belts (if that really an issue, I kinda like 'em myself, never had any problems) [H&H lineage signature]
** Heavy rifles (so they hold nice and steady when you pull down on something) (leavethe weight onmy rifle andkeep the pounds off ofmy gut.)
**Outstanding Performance

Either one of the earlier two is a nice rifle thoughand all are quite suitable for elk.Good man, I'm proud of you.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 AM

DITTO what bigbulls said!!!

RA
Old 03-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if the 300Win was so great and didnt need an improvement, then the 300WSm wouldnt be one of the most popular calibers out now, which is amazing since there were already so many 30 cal magnum and non magnum choices before it was introduced.(no I dont have either, I have the 300wby) For the most part I think shorter action=better action.

As far as saying make the rifle heavier and I'll take a few less pounds on my gut, well thats just foolish. Id take the lighter rifle any day of the week. The light weight rifles usually cost more then the standard weights so obviously lighter is better. THats like saying oh give me those 4lbs each boots, instead of the lighterones that are just as warm.Alot of binos and scopes are judged not just by the glass but by the wieght. If you want a workout then put some wrist weights on. No matter what you gut looks like you still have to carry that extra wieght around thats why we dont see everyone with a 28" heavy contour barrel(or somethingridiculously heavey like that)walking threw the woods.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lightweight 300 would not be my cup of tea.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would pick the 300 WSM although both cartridges are equal to the task. I also consider the 300 Win Mag to be a tried and true cartridge. (sorry). I do see your point though. They are both balistically equal.

JUST FOR ME THOUGH, I would rather have the plague than a 300 RUM.For those who need or want the recoil of that beast, they are welcome. I have a friend who had to have one but he is scared to death of it. He has shot one box of shells in five years. When he takes it to the range to check the zero, it takes hum 20 minutes to get up the nerve to fire that one round. He says a little prayer that it stays zeroed so he doesn't have to shoot it twice. But he LOVES it.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:27 PM

300RUMs are equivalent to 30-378 Weatherby's, another level of play....

Foolish for y'all perhaps, but just fine for me. I've got a fly weight 338WinMag (a waspy little thing) and it is definitely not one of my favorites; maybe when I get older and weaker. Recoil management is one reason why folks that have been around the block with the bigger stuff don't want light rifles and strong magnum cartridges in the same package (unless you like muzzlebrakes),especially if they ever plan on practicing with it at all.

I'm figuring afterwarm 458 Lott or 416 Rigby rounds, the 300 RUM recoil will be completely doable anddocile by comparison; however, I respect it and don't want to go light with it. My M-70 375H&H weighs 11.5 pounds loaded, scoped, and slung and is my favorite elk rifle,so I figure I have a little room on the weight end of things. Weight is one of my friends in a magnum rifle and IMHOheavier rifles"hold on target better" at the moment of truth than a flyweight wand especially shooting offhand (and even off of a rest). They may not be as sexy or as "in vogue" as titanium and plastic; however,IMHO "light weight and strong magnums" are a combination that helps to fuel the "recoil sensitivity" [:'(][:'(][:'(]so common among Americans -- not the whole story by any means, but it is a piece of it. Again, leave the weight in my rifle (I didn't say add weight)and in my camel back (water)but noton my gutnor in my bootsnor in my backpack. BTW, treadmills are useful.

Quick Reply: .300 WM Or .300WSM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.