Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 left handed guns >

left handed guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

left handed guns

Old 02-28-2006, 12:08 PM

Default left handed guns

This is in regards to shotguns mostly. I was just wondering how many of the lefties here bother ordering themselves left handed shotguns. It would appear from what I'm reading that most people don't bother with them. I'm probably going to be getting a Remington 870 sometime in the near future, and is it worth the extra couple bucks, and are the shells flying past your face all that big a deal?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Default RE: left handed guns

I wouldn't. I'm left handed, shoot left handed and I have a right handed 870. As the guy at Gander Mountain said, if you ever decided to sell the gun (which I don't), it'll be a heck ofa lot easier to sell a right handed gun than a left handed gun. The shells are not a problem for me.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 1100, 870, and a 1300 that are all right handed, I have never had a problem with shells ejecting in front of my face. In fact I have never even given it a thought until I have read it on here several times. The other thing I hear is that the safety is backwards (I dont know because I dont own a LH shotgun) but it isnt that big of a deal to push the safety towards you instead of away from you.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I concur, never have found the need for a lh shotgun. My vote is save the coin.

BTW, I own a few pumps (including the 870) and 1 auto all rh'd and yes I shoot from the south as well.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 PM

870, A5 and a SKB auto (as well as a 10/22 and side eject lever gun) have never given me problems. I actually prefer it on the 870...you can turn the ejection port "up" and catch the spent shells easier
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 PM

Never been a problem for me either. I've got pumps, levers, singles, and semis. One big thing I look for when shopping for a new gun is how easy the safety is to reach.

Do any of you own/shoot RH bolt actions, and if so how does it work for you?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 PM

I ordered my Savage 166 for a lefty. Even if shotguns and levers aren't a problem, I figured it would be worth it for a bolt action to get the left handed version.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Do any of you own/shoot RH bolt actions, and if so how does it work for you?
I have a .22 bolt that's right handed. It's ok, mostly because I'm used to it. If I were to get a center fire bolt, it'd most likely be a lefty.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm a lefty and I'll admit that shells flying past my face don't really bother me. Save your money on the lefty shotgun. As far as I'm concerned the only rifle worth buying left handed is a bolt action. After years of hunting and shooting with right handed bolts I finally broke down and bought a left handed bolt action Savage. Best money I've ever spent. The gun is acurate as hell and shooting a left handed bolt action is so natural. I doubt I'll ever hunt with a right handed bolt action again.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a right-handed Remington autoloader for years. The biggest pain was operating the safety. Had to reach around the trigger guard and push it back to take the safety off. I got a BPS several years ago. I love it. I also shot a right-handed bolt for many years. Operating the bolt left handed wasn't a problem for me. There weren't affordable options at the time. Since then, there are a lot of good models in a left-handed configuration. If you have the option, take it.

Quick Reply: left handed guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.